Quantcast
Connect with us

‘All on me:’ US admiral takes blame in carrier to N.Korea fiasco

Published

on

The US admiral who ordered an aircraft carrier and other warships toward the Korean Peninsula in a much-hyped deployment took responsibility Wednesday for any “confusion” after the ships sailed in the opposite direction.

Amid soaring tensions ahead of North Korea’s apparent ramping up for a sixth nuclear test, the US Navy on April 8 said it was directing a naval strike group headed by the USS Carl Vinson carrier to “sail north” from the waters off Singapore, as a “prudent measure” to deter Pyongyang.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the ships actually went the other way, sailing south from Singapore and toward Australia to conduct drills with the Australian navy — though they subsequently did turn north.

“That’s my fault on the confusion and I’ll take the hit for it,” Admiral Harry Harris, who heads the US military’s Pacific Command, told lawmakers.

“Where I failed was to communicate that adequately to the press and the media, so that is all on me.”

Noting that the ships had eventually gone on to sail toward the Korean Peninsula, Harris said they are still en route.

“Today (the strike group) sits in the Philippine Sea just east of Okinawa in striking range and power projection range of North Korea if called upon to do that, and then in a few days I expect it will continue to move north,” he told the House Armed Services Committee.

ADVERTISEMENT

The eventual arrival of the strike group in the region is a far cry from the impression President Donald Trump and other officials left when the deployment was first announced.

“We are sending an armada. Very powerful,” were the words of President Donald Trump, and other officials made it sound like the ships were plowing toward the region.

“A carrier group steaming into an area like that, the forward presence of that is clearly… a huge deterrent. So, I think it serves multiple capabilities,” White House spokesman Sean Spicer said April 11.

ADVERTISEMENT

Pentagon chief Jim Mattis said the Vinson was “on her way up.”

The ruling party newspaper in North Korea on Monday called the Vinson’s deployment “undisguised military blackmail.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Such threat may startle a jellyfish, but can never work on the DPRK,” it said, using the country’s official name.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: John Oliver exposes Trump’s lies about vote-by-mail — and the Fox News ‘cult’ claiming the election is already ‘rigged’

Published

on

"Last Week Tonight" host John Oliver's main story Sunday refuted President Donald Trump's latest crusade against vote-by-mail. Trump announced on Twitter that the more people who vote in an election, the more Republicans tend to lose. So, he wants fewer people to have access to the ballot in November, even if people are too scared to go out during the coronavirus crisis.

Oliver called out Missouri Gov. Mike Parson (R-MO), who outright told people not to vote if they were too afraid to vote in the local elections next week.

"Well, hold on there," Oliver interjected. "Voting is a right. It has to be easy to understand and accessible to anyone."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

John Oliver rips Fox News’ Tucker Carlson for urging ‘order’ from people of color — but never demanding it of police

Published

on

John Oliver opened his Sunday show, shredding Fox News host Tucker Carlson for uring "order" among protesters, but refusing to urge "order" to police and "wannabe police" who can't stop killing people.

It's a lot, Oliver explained. "How these protests are a response to a legacy of police misconduct, both in Minneapolis and the nation at large and how that misconduct is, itself, built on a legacy of white supremacy that prioritizes the comfort of white Americans over the safety of people of color."

While some of it is complicated, Oliver conceded, most of it is "all too clear."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Cars set on fire blocks from White House as DC protests turn violent

Published

on

The Washington, D.C. protests turned violent as the city approached the 11 p.m. curfew the mayor instituted Sunday afternoon.

The policy of D.C. police is that when they are attacked, they advance forward. So, when fireworks were fired, the line of officers began pushing the protesters back further from the White House. Behind the line of police officers also stand a line of National Guard troops that President Donald Trump has demanded stand watch in the city.

Lights that normally shine on the White House have also been turned off, reporters revealed.

https://twitter.com/markknoller/status/1267291138655956992

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image