Quantcast
Connect with us

US-led strike kills scores of family members of Islamic State fighters in Syria

Published

on

Dozens of relatives of Islamic State fighters were killed on Friday in new US-led strikes on Syria, just hours after the UN urged nations striking the jihadists to protect civilians.

Bombing raids by the US-led coalition have pounded IS positions across Iraq and Syria since the jihadist group claimed responsibility for the devastating bombing of a concert in Manchester on Monday.

Scores of civilians, many of them families of IS members, have been killed in bombing raids in recent days on the eastern Syrian town of Mayadeen, held by IS since 2014.

Early Friday, at least 80 relatives of IS fighters were killed in US-led coalition bombardment, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

“The toll includes 33 children. They were families seeking refuge in the town’s municipal building,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This is the highest toll for relatives of IS members in Syria,” he told AFP.

Coalition strikes on the town killed 37 civilians on Thursday night after 15 had been killed on Wednesday, according to the Britain-based Observatory.

The US military on Friday confirmed that it had struck “near Mayadeen” on May 25 and 26, but said it was “still assessing the results of those strikes”, according to Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon.

ADVERTISEMENT

The US military insists that it takes every precaution to avoid hitting civilians, but the United Nations on Friday urged parties bombing IS to do more.

UN human rights chief Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein said “all states” whose air forces are active in the anti-IS missions needed “to take much greater care to distinguish between legitimate military targets and civilians”.

The Observatory gathered its information from civilian and medical sources on the ground in IS-held Mayadeen.

ADVERTISEMENT

The town has seen an influx of displaced families from IS-held territory in Iraq and Syria, including its bastion Raqa.

It is in Syria’s oil-rich east near the border with Iraq — a region considered a prize by many of IS’s enemies including the Syrian army.

Troops loyal to President Bashar al-Assad have been waging a multi-pronged offensive east to reach the strategic border territory.

ADVERTISEMENT

They scored a key victory this week by linking the capital Damascus to the UNESCO World Heritage city of Palmyra in central Syria.

It was the first time the government was in full control of the Damascus-Palmyra highway since 2014, according to Abdel Rahman.

With backing from Russian air strikes, regime fighters “pushed IS fighters out of desert territory amounting to more than 1,000 square kilometres (390 square miles),” he said on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

A decades-old ally of Damascus, Moscow has been carrying out air strikes in support of Assad’s troops since September 2015 — a year after the American-led coalition began targeting IS in Syria.

The coalition is now backing twin ground offensives against IS’s last main bastion cities — Raqa in northern Syria and Mosul in neighbouring Iraq.

– ‘Annihilate’ IS –

ADVERTISEMENT

The 68-member coalition began bombing IS in Iraq in the summer of 2014, and expanded operations to Syria on September 23 that year.

On Thursday, a Pentagon investigation concluded that at least 105 civilians died in an anti-jihadist air strike on an IS weapons cache in Mosul in March.

Before the new revelation, the US military had said coalition air strikes in Iraq and Syria had “unintentionally” killed 352 civilians since 2014.

ADVERTISEMENT

Rights groups put the number much higher, and the Observatory this week reported the highest monthly civilian death toll for the coalition’s operations in Syria.

It said between April 23 and May 23, coalition strikes killed 225 civilians in Syria, including dozens of children.

Reports of civilian casualties in the air campaign have swelled in recent days.

ADVERTISEMENT

On May 20, US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said US President Donald Trump had instructed the Pentagon to “annihilate” IS in Syria in a bid to prevent escaped foreign fighters from returning home.

The president has “directed a tactical shift from shoving ISIS out of safe locations in an attrition fight to surrounding the enemy in their strongholds so we can annihilate ISIS,” Mattis said, using an acronym for IS.

But the Pentagon has denied that its rules of engagement have changed and insists that the coalition continues to strike only “military-appropriate targets”.


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

‘Devastating, illegal, and unethical’: Trump denounced for imposing sweeping attack on abortion rights nationwide

Published

on

Warning of "severe" consequences for reproductive healthcare, critics condemn the Title X gag rule as "blatantly coercive and a violation of medical ethics and patients' rights."

After President Donald Trump's administration announced Monday that it would immediately begin enforcing a ban on abortion referrals at clinics that receive federal tax dollars, outraged reproductive rights advocates warned about the impact on healthcare nationwide and vowed to keep fighting against what they call the domestic gag rule.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Not one Republican votes to allow debate on resolution condemning Trump’s racist attacks

Published

on

Not a single House Republican on Tuesday voted to proceed to debate on a Democratic resolution condemning President Donald Trump's racist attacks on progressive Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, and Rashida Tlaib.

The resolution (pdf)—which is on track to pass by Tuesday evening—"strongly condemns President Donald Trump's racist comments that have legitimized and increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color."

The procedural motion to begin debate passed by a vote of 233-190.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

GOP congressman demands Pelosi’s House floor statement be ‘taken down’ after she denounces Trump’s racist tweets

Published

on

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Tuesday took to the floor of Congress to read a statement denouncing President Donald Trump's recent statements telling four congresswomen of color to go back to their home country.

"The comments are racist," Pelosi said. "How shameful to hear him continue to defend the offensive words. Words we have heard him repeat not only about our members but about countless others. Our caucus will continue to forcefully respond on these attacks which reflect a fundamental disrespect for the beautiful diversity of America. There’s no place anywhere for the president’s words which are not only divisive but dangerous and have legitimatized an increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color."

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

close-image