Now that former White House political strategist Steve Bannon is out of a job, many reports are claiming that he is planning a return to Breitbart News, the nationalist website he used in 2016 to promote Donald Trump’s campaign for president.
However, it looks like Bannon won’t be giving Trump the same cushy treatment that he received during last year’s campaign against Hillary Clinton.
One of Bannon’s friends tells reporter Gabriel Sherman that Breitbart is “ramping up for war against Trump” in the wake of Bannon’s ouster.
“It’s now a Democrat White House,” the friend tells Sherman, likely a reference to Bannon’s belief that First Daughter Ivanka Trump, along with key advisers such as Jared Kushner and Gary Cohn, are New York liberals who are disconnected from the nationalist message that Trump used to win the 2016 election.
Bannon friend says Breitbart ramping up for war against Trump. "It's now a Democrat White House," source says.# p #5_10 # ad skipped = true #
— Gabriel Sherman (@gabrielsherman) August 18, 2017# p #6_10 # ad skipped = true #
Similarly, a source close to Breitbart News tells Axios’ Jonathan Swan that the news website plans to “go ‘thermonuclear’ against ‘globalists’ that Bannon and his friends believe are ruining the Trump administration, and by extension, America.”
As if to confirm the reports, Breitbart editor Joel Pollak simply tweeted “#WAR” in response to news of Bannon’s ouster.
If Breitbart were to really launch a war against Trump, it would leave the White House with few reliable media allies apart from top Fox News personalities.
Later Friday, Bannon went on the record, saying that the claim for “war” meant that he’s going to war against those in Congress, the media and the corporate sector who have opposed Trump.