Quantcast
Connect with us

What was the Washington Post thinking with this story about the Las Vegas shooter?

Published

on

- Commentary

In times of crisis, like the mass shooting in Las Vegas on Sunday night, Americans turn to the media for explanation. We want to trust our major newspapers to deliver the facts, abate our fears of continuing violence and tell us how we can help. The breaking news reporters who deliver news to us quickly and accurately, sometimes at great danger to themselves, should be commended.

ADVERTISEMENT

And then there’s the idiot at the Washington Post who wrote this headline:

The original article appeared Monday morning, and was quickly syndicated to other major national newspapers like the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Denver Post. The piece’s authors were William Wan and Aaron C. Davis. Since then, additional bylines have been added and the piece’s text and tone have changed significantly.

Here’s the original opening paragraph, casting the killer in familiar terms:

Before he opened fire late Sunday — killing at least 50 people at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip — the gunman Stephen Paddock lived a quiet life for years in a small town outside Las Vegas. A retired man, Paddock often visited Las Vegas to gamble and take in concerts, his relatives said. Public records show he was a licensed pilot who owned two planes. And he had a hunting license from Alaska. For several years, he appeared to live in Mesquite, Tex. But property records show he chose to move to another town named Mesquite in Nevada, where he bought a home in 2013, and he has been living there ever since. Paddock’s family said there was nothing in his past that would suggest violence.

ADVERTISEMENT

However could such an innocent-seeming, retired, country music-loving white man commit such an atrocity, the piece seems to ask. You can almost see the writers wringing their hands in confusion.

The updated version of the article casts the shooter’s past in a far more sinister light:

He liked to bet big, wagering tens of thousands of dollars in a sitting. He owned homes in four states but preferred staying in casino hotels, sometimes for weeks at a time, as he worked the gambling machines. He grew up the son of a convicted bank robber who was constantly running from the law. But in his own life, Stephen Paddock, 64, had stayed out of trouble until Sunday night, when he suddenly unleashed a firestorm of bullets from his casino hotel room, killing at least 59 people and injuring more than 500 more on the Las Vegas Strip.

ADVERTISEMENT

It’s never a breaking news reporter’s job to diagnose a killer, or hypothesize about his intentions after the fact—this remains, for now, the job of the police. But the headline change alone shows that the Washington Post regretted its rapid assumptions about Paddock. The new headline reads:

No more talk of his tastes in music or preferred hobbies. Now we have a textbook quiet loner, whose horrific crimes might be connected to his gambling habit. Perhaps.

ADVERTISEMENT

The twittersphere jumped on this hypocrisy immediately, pointing out that Muslim attackers never get this kind of treatment.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Washington Post wasn’t the only outlet to go easy on Paddock, despite the unquestionable evidence of his guilt. In a move seemingly intended to do nothing but aggravate, get clicks or both, TMZ ran an article mere hours after the massacre claiming that Paddock “doesn’t fit the profile” of a terrorist.

Outlets like the Washington Post and TMZ, while vastly different, have an enormous readership and make a significant impact on the way Americans process breaking news. We need and deserve more honesty and clarity than what they gave us Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Giuliani associates’ company promised to build a bizarre temple over Jerusalem

Published

on

The Wall Street Journal has uncovered new details about the strange work done by Fraud Guarantee, the company founded by Lev Parnas, the indicted henchman of Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani.

Specifically, the Journal was given information from an investor who says he plugged $250,000 into Fraud Guarantee after Parnas told him that he could use his connections with President Donald Trump to help promote his initiative to create peace in the Middle East.

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Liberal PACs gear up for major ad blitz to flip GOP-controlled legislatures in states where Trump is vulnerable

Published

on

According to a report from Politico, two left-leaning PAC's are working in concert to flip GOP-majority legislatures in reliably conservative or too- close-to-call states.

With Donald Trump expected to be at the top of the Republican ticket, "Arena and Future Now Fund, are planning to spend $7 million to try to flip GOP-controlled state legislatures in Florida, Arizona, Michigan and North Carolina," the report states.

According to Daniel Squadron, co-founder of the Future Now Fund, "If you look at where the important states are, the places most people are watching are the Electoral College to secure the White House. But the truth is that when you talk about the impact of 2020, electoral control of the state legislatures is critical.”

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Newly revealed letter details Rudy Giuliani’s work for Fraud Guarantee company owned by indicted henchman

Published

on

A newly revealed letter sheds light on Rudy Giuliani's work for Fraud Guarantee, a company founded by his indicted associates Lev Parnas and David Correia -- and the document has been handed over to investigators.

Fraud Guarantee circulated an investor letter last year that shows the company would pay the consulting firm Giuliani Partners up to $2 million for the first year and give the former New York City mayor equity in the company, reported the Wall Street Journal.

Continue Reading