Quantcast
Connect with us

Interior Sec. Ryan Zinke refuses to provide documentation in taxpayer funded travel investigation: inspector

Published

on

The U.S. Interior Department has failed to provide documentation needed for an internal probe of Secretary Ryan Zinke’s travels, the department’s inspector general said on Thursday.

“Our investigation has been delayed by absent, or incomplete documentation for several pertinent trips,” Mary Kendall, the department’s deputy inspector general, said in a letter sent this week to David Bernhardt, the department’s deputy secretary. The letter was published on the department’s web site.

ADVERTISEMENT

The inspector general launched an investigation of Zinke’s travels after reports emerged in September that he had used a private plane owned by oil executives. The probe was launched after the inspector general received numerous complaints about Zinke’s travels, including the use of three chartered flights.

One of those flights, taken in June from Las Vegas to near Zinke’s hometown in Montana, cost taxpayers over $12,000, according to a Washington Post report.

Kendall’s letter said her office had received full cooperation from all employees it had contacted, but that “we have found the documentation and adherence to departmental travel policies deficient and without proper management oversight and accountability.”

It said many authorizations and vouchers required for Zinke’s travel have yet to be completed and processed. It requested documentation no later than Dec. 11 for the secretary and his wife, Lolita Zinke, when she accompanied him on government travel.

The letter also complained that the department’s travel review process failed to include proper documentation and accountability.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Interior Department had no comment, but referred to a letter, also published on the web site, from Bernhardt responding to Kendall.

In a speech at conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation in September, Zinke denied inappropriate travel and said his travels were approved by “career employees” of the Interior Department’s ethics office. He called reports about his use of chartered private flights “a little B.S.”

Bernhardt said in his letter that additional documents for the probe had been sent to the inspector general’s office earlier in the month. He said the department will work to provide available documentation for Zinke’s travel and said he appreciated recommendations by Kendall on travel procedures for the secretary’s immediate office.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bernhardt also said that Zinke and he had “inherited an organizational and operational mess” from the Obama administration. He said department travel procedures were the same under Obama.

EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin have also come under scrutiny over reports of expensive private plane use.

ADVERTISEMENT

(Reporting by Timothy Gardner; Editing by Dan Grebler)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Town hall crowd explodes into applause as New Jersey lawmaker announces he will vote for Trump impeachment

Published

on

On Sunday morning CNN aired a clip of Rep. Tom Malinowski (D-NJ) announcing before a town hall crowd on Saturday that he will vote for the impeachment of Donald Trump -- causing some of the audience members to explode into applause over his decision.

In the clip, the lawmaker explains, "Based on the evidence I have seen in the depositions, the hearings and the documents I've seen, I believe on the two counts of impeachment that the vote that has been put before us, that the vote should be yes, and I will be voting yes."

With that, the crowd burst into cheers with some leaping from their seats.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

ABC News had the goods on Jeffrey Epstein years ago — and killed the story

Published

on

By

Multimillionaire predator Jeffrey Epstein died in suspicious circumstances at a Manhattan correctional facility on Aug. 10. The wealthy and powerful New York financier, a convicted sex offender, stands accused by dozens of women and girls of trafficking, rape and sexual abuse. He was an enormously influential and well-connected man who counted as friends billionaire business ownersHollywood starsBritish royals, and even top media figures like Katie Couric and Charlie Rose — with some of his associates falling under suspicion of condoning or even participating in a pedophile ring.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Child killed as quake strikes southern Philippines

Published

on

A powerful earthquake hit the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on Sunday, killing a child, injuring dozens and damaging buildings in an area still recovering from a string of deadly quakes in October.

Police said a rescue operation had been launched at a heavily damaged market building in Padada near the 6.8 magnitude quake's epicentre, which is about 90 kilometres (55 miles) south of the major city of Davao.

Patients were evacuated from hospitals as a precaution and nervous crowds massed outside shopping malls after the jolt and dozens of smaller, but strong aftershocks.

Continue Reading