The chief judge of a federal appeals court on Thursday initiated an inquiry into harassment accusations involving another judge that were reported by The Washington Post, a court filing showed.
Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals Chief Judge Sidney Thomas asked that allegations against 9th Circuit Judge Alex Kozinski be reviewed by judges in another circuit.
The initiation of a complaint is not a finding of any wrongdoing.
Kozinski declined to comment when reached by Reuters on Thursday.
The Washington Post reported last week that six former law clerks or externs had accused Kozinski of subjecting them to inappropriate sexual conduct or comments.
The newspaper reported that two of the women, one named and the other not, said the judge asked them to view computer images of naked people.
The newspaper quoted Kozinski as saying that in his 35 years as a judge he had employed more than 500 people in his chambers, and had treated all of them as family.
“I would never intentionally do anything to offend anyone and it is regrettable that a handful have been offended by something I may have said or done,” the judge was quoted as saying.
In an order on Thursday, Thomas asked that judges from a different part of the country conduct the review, “to ensure confidence in the impartiality of any proceedings.”
Thomas said he was issuing his order “consistent with our past practice,” noting that “when incidents of alleged misconduct have been reported in an accredited media publication, we have identified a complaint and initiated an inquiry.”
(Reporting by Dan Levine; Editing by Sue Horton, Toni Reinhold)
Colbert names Trump’s siege on DC the ‘Tinyman Square’ incident
It wasn't quite Tiananmen Square, where a still-unknown number of Chinese protesters were murdered by the government in 1989, but it was the closest thing President Donald Trump managed to score this week.
After watching the footage of the military tear gas, beat and shoot at protesters so Trump could march from the presidential bunker to St. John's Church for the cameras.
"It was like Tiananmen Square," Colbert deemed. "Except, in Trump's case, Tinyman Square."
Trump claimed on "The Fox & Friends" that no one was tear-gassed, so it's unclear what was stinging people's eyes and making them cough, choke and tear up. The Park Police released a statement saying it wasn't tear gas. While the moment was captured on video from dozens of different camera angles, one protester actually grabbed a canister of Oleoresins Capiscum, or "OC," the gas that was used.
Vladimir Putin must love watching the US fall apart: columnist
New Yorker columnist Susan Glasser made the astute observation that if Russian President Vladimir Putin wanted to destabilize the United States with the election of President Donald Trump, he's clearly achieved his objective.
It was reported in March that Russian intelligence services are working to incite violence using white supremacist groups to try and sow racial chaos in the United States ahead of the November election.
Conservative columnist links all Republicans to the attack on Lafayette Square
Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump decided to walk across Lafayette Square for a photo-op. To get there, however, it took an outright battle with mounted park police, police covered in body armor and rattled Secret Service members who had just rushed the president to the bunker several nights before. Armed with semi-automatic weapons and military gear, they staged a siege on Lafayette Square against unarmed hippies, woke whites and people of color, again, forced to fight for justice.
Writing for the Washington Post Wednesday, conservative columnist Max Boot attacked Attorney General Bill Barr, who accepted responsibility for demanding that demonstrators be tear-gassed, beaten and shot with rubber bullets. Like Bull Conor ordering fire hoses on students marching in Birmingham, Alabama, Barr's attack on Lafayette Square for a photo-op proved he is willing to do what it takes to stroke the fractured ego of a president forced to cower in a bunker.