Quantcast
Connect with us

Alabama Republicans seek to censure GOP Senator Shelby for not supporting accused pedophile Roy Moore

Published

on

Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) and Roy Moore (R-AL), composite image

Upheaval in the Alabama Republican Party continues following the stunning loss of GOP nominee Roy Moore in the December runoff election to fill the seat vacated by Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Politico reports.

Three Moore supporters are now pushing a resolution to censure Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL) for refusing to back Moore after credible accusations of sexual misconduct were lodged against the conservative firebrand, who was twice ousted from the Alabama Supreme Court.

ADVERTISEMENT

The resolution blasts Sen. Shelby for “publicly encouraged Republicans and all voters to write in a candidate instead of voting for the Republican Candidate Judge Roy Moore.”

A pro-Moore political action committee, the Courageous Conservatives PAC, funded robocalls in December demanding Shelby resign.

“Sen. Richard Shelby stabbed President Trump and conservatives in the back,” said one recorded phone call. “Tell Shelby you’ll never forget his disloyalty to President Trump and the Republican Party for his treasonous actions. Tell Shelby he’s betrayed his trust to Alabamians and he should resign his office. Call now.”

Dallas investor Christopher Ekstrom has been helping bankroll the anti-Shelby campaign in Alabama.

“We no longer have Bob Corker to kick around, we no longer have Jeff Flake to kick around, but we do have Richard Shelby to kick around up and down the street until he gets out,” Ekstrom threatened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ekstrom claimed Sen. Shelby was responsible for destroying “what was a very strong GOP in Alabama.”

It remains to be seen how much support the censure resolution has among the Alabama Republican Party, which is expected to be debated before the state party’s resolutions committee.

“It’s stunningly dumb,” said former interim Sen. Luther Strange (R-AL). “The party needs to unite.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Multiple Moore advisors did not respond to Politico’s request for comment.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Health care group sponsoring South Dakota indoor country music festival that doesn’t require masks: report

Published

on

On Monday, The Daily Beast reported that South Dakota is poised to hold an indoor country music festival that won't require face masks and has not yet confirmed whether they will require social distancing — and it's being sponsored by a local nonprofit health care organization.

"Sanford Health of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is presenting the Oct. 24 event in conjunction with the state’s governor, Kristi Noem," reported Michael Daly. "She endorsed the Sturgis motorcycle rally last month, where nearly half a million people gathered, largely without masks or social distancing, for 10 days before returning home, which a report by a team of economists with the Center for Health Economics & Policy Studies at San Diego State University estimates to have resulted in more than 260,000 COVID-19 cases. She will now be hosting the annual Governor’s Pheasant Hunt, which this year will include a musical event."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Top Mueller deputy reveals why he chickened out of forcing Donald Trump Jr. to testify

Published

on

One of the mysteries left in the wake of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation was why Donald Trump Jr., who infamously met with Russian agents to discuss the hacking of Hillary Clinton's stolen emails, was never forced to testify.

Andrew Weissmann, who served as one of Mueller's top deputies during the probe, has now given an answer.

In an excerpt of Weismann's upcoming book on the investigation obtained by The Atlantic, Weissmann claims that Mueller was too worried about the president shutting down the entire probe if they subpoenaed his family members to testify.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

‘He told us to use his words against him’: Early AM protest outside Lindsey Graham’s home over RBG replacement

Published

on

"In the spirit of RBG, we will not allow a double standard in how our Congress deals with late-term Supreme Court appointments."

Taking Sen. Lindsey Graham up on his 2016 advice to use his words opposing the nomination of Judge Merrick Garland against him should a Supreme Court seat open in the final year of a Republican president's first term, a group of demonstrators gathered outside of the South Carolina Republican's Washington, D.C. residence early Monday morning demanding that he oppose the filling of late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat until after the November election.

Continue Reading
 
 
Democracy is in peril. Invest in progressive news. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE