Quantcast
Connect with us

BUSTED: Trump’s DOJ used skewed terrorism data to push anti-immigration agenda

Published

on

On Tuesday, the Department of Justice and Homeland Security released a report claiming that three quarters of people who committed acts of terror in the United States between September 11, 2001 and the end of 2016 are foreign-born — but that data is likely skewed.

As The Intercept‘s Trevor Aaronson reported after the analysis came out, the DOJ/Homeland report “appears to rely on a data set that has been carefully selected to support the Trump administration’s anti-Muslim policies.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“This report reveals an indisputable sobering reality — our immigration system has undermined our national security and public safety,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said when announcing the report’s release. “And the information in this report is only the tip of the iceberg: we currently have terrorism-related investigations against thousands of people in the United States, including hundreds of people who came here as refugees.”

As The Daily Beast noted, the report’s assertion flies counter to claims made by counter-terrorism experts, who insist “U.S. citizens have been the majority of the offenders since 9/11.”

“If you’re looking at international terrorism, you’re going to see people with a more international background—that’s just common sense,” said the University of Maryland’s William Brainiff, who leads the school’s National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism program.

The Beast also noted that “the report’s release appears to have been timed” in conjunction with the Trump administration’s efforts to “to end two U.S. visa programs as a condition of congressional immigration negotiations.” The White House has denied this claim and calls the timing “purely coincidental.”

The Intercept noted that the size of the data set — 549 individuals, 254 of which were non-citizens and 148 naturalized citizens — was not explained in the report. Furthermore, the list ends in December 2016, and previous iterations of the terrorist list, as released by President Obama’s attorney general, Eric Holder, “contained 627 names in 2015 and 580 names in 2014.”

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

RNC blew nearly $100,000 to help put Trump Jr’s book on the bestseller list

Published

on

A new Federal Elections Commission filing unearthed by New York Times reporter Nick Confessore shows that the Republican National Committee blew nearly $100,000 to help promote Donald Trump Jr.'s book "Triggered."

According to the filing, the RNC made a $94,800 payment to bookseller Books-a-Million on October 29th this year, which was just days before Trump Jr.'s "Triggered" was released on November 5th.

An RNC spokesman confirmed to Confessore that "the expenditure was connected to their promotion of Don Trump Jr.'s book."

The RNC had previously claimed that it didn't make a bulk purchase but had only been "ordering copies to keep up with demand" of the book. When asked by Confessore how they could claim they weren't making bulk purchases when they bought roughly $100,000 worth of books, the RNC simply replied, "We stand by our statement."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

David Holmes blows up one of Trump’s key defenses in Ukraine extortion scheme

Published

on

David Holmes blew up one of the central arguments in the impeachment defense of President Donald Trump.

The president's Republican allies have argued that Ukraine was not aware that congressionally approved aid had been held up by the White House as Trump demanded an investigation of Joe Biden, but Holmes explained why that's wrong, reported the Washington Post.

Holmes, a political counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine, told congressional investigators that Ukrainian officials seemed to have figured out that the pause, which had been reported in late August by Politico, was related to Trump's call for an investigation.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

The GOP wanted Sondland to be Trump’s Ukraine ‘fall guy’ — then it blew up in their faces: NYT columnist

Published

on

According to New York Times columnist Michelle Goldberg, Republican hopes that they could turn E.U. Ambassador Gordon Sondland into "fall guy" for Donald Trump's Ukraine scandal ended up being a disastrous miscalculation.

Following testimony given by the millionaire Trump appointee that was televised nationally where he clearly stated that the president was using foreign aid to get political dirt on possible 2020 presidential election foe Joe Biden, the NYT columnist claims the GOP now has a "Gordon problem."

Continue Reading
 
 

Happy Holidays!

As a special thank you from all of us at Raw, we're offering Raw Story ad-free for 15% off - just $2 per week. Now 'til Dec. 31st.
Offer Expires In:
close-link