Prosecutors in Los Angeles said on Tuesday they declined to pursue criminal charges against film director Roman Polanski after a woman said last fall that he molested her 43 years ago when she was 10 years old.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office was investigating charges that Polanski, a long-time fugitive from the United States, committed lewd and lascivious acts with a child and sodomy with a minor, but did not proceed because it was beyond the statute of limitations, spokesman Greg Risling said.
The office pegged the date as Jan. 1, 1975 and declined to identify Polanski’s accuser. The prosecutor opened the investigation in December.
The accuser, who identified herself online as artist Marianne Barnard, accused Polanski, now 84, in October of having molested her when he photographed her as a naked 10-year-old under an open fur coat in a photo shoot arranged by her mother.
“After it happened, I didn’t say anything to anyone,” Barnard said in a post on thepetition.com, where she is seeking signatures urging that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences revoke Polanski’s board membership.
Polanski’s lawyer, Harland Braun, said the incident never happened, adding that because police and prosecutors have stopped looking into the matter, he is pursuing his own investigation in an effort to clear his client.
“We have what we believe is a totally fictitious case against Mr. Polanski,” said Braun.
Polanski in 1977 admitted to having unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl in Los Angeles and spent 42 days in pre-trial custody. He fled the United States the following year, fearing a plea bargain with prosecutors would be overruled and that he would get a lengthy prison term.
In November, Swiss prosecutors dropped an investigation of him after finding that the country’s statute of limitations did not allow pursuing allegations by a former German actress and model that he raped her in 1972 when she was 15 years old.
Polanski won an Academy Award in 2003 for directing “The Pianist.”
(Reporting by Peter Szekely in New York; editing by Grant McCool)
Trump’s ignorance has touched off a new crisis in Kashmir
South Asia is again in crisis and could be on the brink of war. For the second time in six months, the world is on tenterhooks, waiting to see what turn events will take. Because the two antagonists are armed with nuclear weapons, the possibility of a confrontation is taken seriously. And as has happened before, Kashmir is at the center of the dispute that has kept India and Pakistan at loggerheads for over 70 years.
The simmering cauldron came to a boil about 10 days ago, when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, flush after a landslide electoral victory, revoked Article 370 of the Indian constitution, which established special status of the disputed territory. As expected, public reaction has been strong. In a bid to control the situation, the government has imposed a curfew and a clampdown on communications, cutting off the Kashmiris from the outside world.
QAnon is the conspiracy theory that won’t die: Here’s what they believe — and why they’re wrong
If you follow the squeaks and squawks of far-right conspiracy theorists, you have almost certainly encountered QAnon believers — individuals who follow the oft-debunked predictions of an anonymous man who calls himself "Q" and claims to know the sinister truth about how the world works.
This article first appeared in Salon.
Dayton mayor assigned 24-hour security detail after Trump feud prompts death threats
Dayton, Ohio Mayor Nan Whaley has been assigned security detail after President Donald Trump turned his ire on the grieving local leader in the wake of a massacre in her city earlier this month that killed 9.
“Get the hell out of this country you disrespectful trash,” reads one message Whaley received, according to the Dayton Daily News. “Treason is death.”
Others “[contained] extremely abusive language and expletive-laced insults,” the paper reported.