Appearing on MSNBC Saturday afternoon, former Ohio Secretary of State Ken Blackwell (R) attempted to deflect accusations of racism against President Donald Trump by bringing up a comment by former President Barack Obama.
Speaking with host Alex Witt, Blackwell described working in multiple administrations and stated that he doesn’t believe the president is a racist and that the media and the president’s detractors are making too much of his calling Haiti and African nations “sh*tholes.”
“Let’s go back to the fact that one, the language that was perhaps, allegedly inartful, that was unrefined, that was vulgar, but can we remember, I do remember when Barack Obama two years ago referred to Libya as a ‘ess-sheet,’ er, uh, ‘ess-show,'” Blackwell said.
“I would love to say we have time to go over Barack Obama,” Witt said, “but we don’t. I want to stay on Donald Trump right now because there’s a lot to talk about with this guy.”
“I know you want to isolate this, but I’ve watched, observed and served under several presidents,” said Blackwell, “and the reality is there are times when presidents use language in private settings that have different concepts and different impacts.”
“We actually executed this plan as well as I could have expected: We got a UN mandate, we built a coalition, it cost us $1 billion -– which, when it comes to military operations, is very cheap. We averted large-scale civilian casualties, we prevented what almost surely would have been a prolonged and bloody civil conflict. And despite all that, Libya is a mess,” said the former president.
But thanks to former U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron’s inattention to the matter, the Arab Republic has become a “sh*tshow,” Obama said.
This week, President Donald Trump reportedly called Haiti and the 54 countries of Africa “sh*thole” countries during an Oval Office discussion of immigration policy.
Watch the video below via MSNBC:
WATCH: Protesters celebrate as Chase Bank was set ablaze during Portland protests
Trump alerts ‘active-duty U.S. military police’ for possible deployment to Minnesota: report
President Donald Trump's administration is contemplating using active-duty U.S. troops in an attempt to quell the protests in Minneapolis, the Associated Press reported early Saturday morning.
As unrest spread across dozens of American cities on Friday, the Pentagon took the rare step of ordering the Army to put several active-duty U.S. military police units on the ready to deploy to Minneapolis, where the police killing of George Floyd sparked the widespread protests," the AP reported.
"Soldiers from Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Drum in New York have been ordered to be ready to deploy within four hours if called, according to three people with direct knowledge of the orders. Soldiers in Fort Carson, in Colorado, and Fort Riley in Kansas have been told to be ready within 24 hours. The people did not want their names used because they were not authorized to discuss the preparations," the AP explained.
John Roberts joins liberals as Supreme Court rejects challenge to Newsom’s COVID-19 limits on California church attendance
In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday rejected an emergency appeal from the South Bay United Pentecostal Church in Chula Vista, California. The San Diego area church tried to challenge the state's limits on attendance at worship services:
The church argued that limits on how many people can attend their services violate constitutional guarantees of religious freedom and had been seeking an order in time for services on Sunday. The church said it has crowds of 200 to 300 people for its services.