Fox News host Shepard Smith on Wednesday said that Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) was just creating a diversion from the Russia investigation by pushing for the release of a controversial memo about the FBI.
The memo purportedly contains evidence of FBI surveillance abuse related to the investigation. But the agency said in a statement that the memo was misleading and inaccurate.
“FBI officials are raising concerns about the accuracy and the possible release of the Republican memo on the Russia investigation,” Smith reported. “The FBI released a rare public statement this afternoon that reads in part ‘as expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.'”
He said that Trump’s own FBI chief, Christopher Wray, had warned against releasing the document to the public.
Smith further reported that the memo was put together by Nunes’ staff. He noted that Nunes had claimed last year that he had evidence that the government had improperly intercepted communications between Trump and members of his transition team.
“He’s House Intelligence Committee chairman that recused himself from the Russia investigation,” Smith remarked. “He made that midnight dash to the White House last year and then staged a dramatic revelation news conference that turned out to be nothing. Nunes is a loyal supporter of the president and served on his transition team.”
Later on his show, Smith accused Nunes of committing acts of “mass distraction” to help the president in the Russia investigation.
“As we reported from the beginning, this is from Devin Nunes, whose last big act of mass distraction was eventually seen as exactly that on the midnight run on the building behind the White House, when he was supposedly taking information to them and instead took it from them and came out and had a news conference and it’s been widely discredited since they,” the Fox News host said.
“He had recused himself from this investigation. Here he is again and he’s effectively changed the subject. If that was the goal to distract, they’ve been highly successful thus far.”
Trump picks Antonin Scalia’s son to replace disgraced former Labor Secretary: report
On Thursday, NPR reported that President Donald Trump is naming Eugene Scalia, the son of the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, to take over as Secretary of Labor.
Scalia, who served on the court from 1986 to his death in 2016, was known as one of the staunchest conservatives on the bench. His seat was deliberately kept vacant by Republicans for over a year to deny President Barack Obama the ability to make an appointment to it.
The Department of Labor was until this month run by former federal prosecutor Alexander Acosta, who resigned in disgrace amid renewed questions about his role in brokering a potentially illegal sweetheart plea agreement with hedge fund manager and accused child sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.
Trump official melts down on MSNBC after refusing to admit Trump lied to America
On Thursday's edition of MSNBC's "The Beat," Ari Melber confronted acting Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Mark Morgan about President Donald Trump's empty threat of "mass raids" of communities nationwide by immigration officials — and Morgan was not pleased.
"The president said there would be these mass raids. Described as thousands of arrests," said Melber. "Were there mass raids, yes or no?"
"First of all, I don’t actually call this a raid," said Morgan. "I think words matter."
"Words matter, so I’m going to get to your response," said Melber. "Were there mass raids as promised?"
DOJ policy blocking Trump from being indicted ‘factored into’ the end of the Stormy Daniels case: report
Federal prosecutors decided to close the investigation into the 2016 criminal hush money payment to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal that benefitted the Trump campaign because, in part, of the policy that prevents the indictment of a sitting president, according to a new report from USA Today citing an anonymous source.
Michael Cohen has already pleaded guilty to the violation of campaign finance law. He said that he carried out the effort in coordination with and at the direction of then-candidate Donald Trump in order to increase his chances of victory in the 2016 presidential election.