Fox News host Shep Smith on Tuesday walked through the timeline of the White House’s evolving response to a growing scandal involving former top aide Rob Porter.
“Who knew what and when?” Smith asked viewers Tuesday, noting while “we do not yet have a definitive answer,” we do have “a brand new timeline” from the White House.
Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders spoke with reporters after FBI Director Chris Wray testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee Tuesday, telling Congress the FBI informed the White House about problems with Porter last year. Smith noted Wray said the FBI “submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March and then a completed investigation in late July.”
“So there you go, completed its investigation in July, passed it all along and then did follow-up work,” Smith explained, adding the White House is now trying to place the blame on the White House Personnel Security Office.
The Fox News host explained the administration “needed more” on Porter. “Presumably, the accounts from the ex-wives and the photos and all the rest were not enough, we don’t know,” Smith said.
He also walked through the “other timeline concerns,” including Kelly’s statement praising Porter that was released hours after a photo was published that showed one of Porter’s ex-wives with a black eye.
“To sum up here, the White House and the FBI have slightly different timelines, and within the White House there are different stories,” Smith said.
“Though the White House has not yet copped to it, the timeline is becoming clear: the FBI told them Porter was a huge problem last summer yet he stayed on the job, until what the FBI knew became public,” he added.
“Is the White House covering up for Porter?” Smith asked. “Did they look the other way because he was doing an important job, in their view, well?”
Watch below, via Fox News: