Quantcast
Connect with us

Evangelicals scrambling as Chicago pastor accused of decades of sexual misconduct

Published

on

Rev. Bill Hybels/Screenshot

The pastor of a Chicago megachurch stands accused of many episodes of sexual misconduct going back years, according to a Chicago Tribune report.

The allegations against Rev. Bill Hybels cover decades and include unwanted kissing, an affair with a married woman and inviting women in his congregation into his hotel room while traveling.

The report has sent the moderate evangelical world into a tizzy—Hybels and his wife are now reportedly estranged from their closest allies including the famous pastors John and Nancy Ortberg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hybels led a congregation of 25,000 and the Willow Creek Association, based on his leadership, counts 11,000 churches worldwide as under its influence. He abruptly retired last year.

Hybels emerged as a “cool” youth pastor riding a Harley-Davidson and quickly grew his flock. Unlike many other non-denominational megachurches, Willow Creek elevated women to senior positions—but that allowed the former pastor to prey on ambitious young women, according to Nancy Beach, who started at Willow Creek and is now a prominent evangelical thought leader.

“I feel so conflicted about the whole situation because I’m so protective of the reputation of the church, not just here but globally,” she told the Tribune. “But I have confidence that the truth matters. Even though he’s 66 years old, there are still young women in his path. I certainly wouldn’t want one of my daughters or anyone else to be in this kind of situation.. He changed my life. I wouldn’t have the opportunities I’ve had… But then there’s this other side.”

Another woman, Vonda Dyer, the former director of the church’s vocal ministry and whose husband also worked there, told the Tribune a story about Hybels kissing her on a trip in 1998. She said he should confess and ask for forgiveness.

“I would love for him to experience that kind of redemption,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hybels is not apologizing, though.

“This has been a calculated and continual attack on our elders and on me for four long years,” he told the Tribune. “I have a wife and kids and grandkids. My family has had enough and they want the record clear. And they feel strongly supportive of me saying what I have to say to protect my family and clear my family’s name as well.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump doubles down on ‘exploding trees’ being the real cause of California wildfires — not heat or drought

Published

on

President Donald Trump doubled down on his "explosive tree" idea as the cause of the California wildfires.

Speaking to Fox News host Mark Levin, Trump explained that trees apparently explode, but trees in other countries are far worse than U.S. trees.

"I meet with foreign leaders of countries, and they have an expression, 'Sir, we are a forest nation.' But they say, 'we have trees that are far more explosive than the trees in California. We don't understand how a thing like that can happen. You have to manage your forest," said Trump.

It's a similar claim that Trump made while in California last week, claiming that the drought, heatwave and global climate change wasn't the cause.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

There are still Trump White House staff secretly trying to save the US from Trump: Ex-National Security Adviser

Published

on

Former National Security Adviser Gen. H.R. McMaster appeared on "60 Minutes" Sunday and reassured the world that there are still secret members in the White House that are trying to protect the country from the likes of President Donald Trump.

Speaking to Scott Pelley, McMaster explained that he thinks the world now sees the United States as "weak and divided," something that Russian President Vladimir Putin has worked toward since 2016, according to intelligence reports.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump’s campaign reveals just how very little money they have left

Published

on

Former Vice President Joe Biden announced that his campaign brought in a massive campaign haul during the Democratic convention last month ahead of the August campaign finance filing. President Donald Trump has attempted to keep his campaign numbers hidden with a late filing, and by Sunday evening it was clear why.

Trump's total haul for August, when he got a week's worth of free media from the Republican convention, was just $61.7 million. The campaign spent almost all of it, $61.2 million.

The campaign still has about $900,000 in debt. His cash on hand is just $121 million in the bank.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage.  Help us deliver it.  Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE