President Donald Trump should take “surgical” action against countries that dump steel and aluminum in US markets rather than follow through on a risky threat of global tariffs, Congress’s top Republican said Tuesday.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, leading a sharp break with the president, said that while there was “clearly abuse occurring,” particularly by China, protectionist measures could have the “unintended consequences” of a trade war.
“I think the smarter way to go is to make it more surgical and more targeted” than broad tariffs, Ryan told reporters.
Trump triggered global alarm last week when he announced he would sign off on measures designed to protect US producers, and defiantly swatted back at critics by saying trade wars are “good, and easy to win.”
Ryan said such action would make the United States “more prone to retaliation.”
“And so what we’re encouraging the administration to do is to focus on what is clearly a legitimate problem, and to be more surgical in its approach, so that we can go after the true abusers without creating any kind of unintended consequences or collateral damage.”
Ryan said he has had multiple conversations with Trump about the issue, and that while he would not characterize the discussions, he said the president “knows our view.”
Ryan’s comments come a day after he publicly split with the president on the tariffs.
“We are extremely worried about the consequences of a trade war and are urging the White House to not advance with this plan,” AshLee Strong, a Ryan spokeswoman, said in a statement Monday.
Several other congressional Republicans were urging Trump to abandon his plan to slap a new import tax of 25 percent on steel and 10 percent on aluminum.
“We have concerns,” Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman Bob Corker said of the effects the tariffs could have on allies like Canada and Mexico.
Trump is already making up conspiracy theories about voter fraud — and it’ll only get worse
The election is eight months away, but President Donald Trump is already crying foul.
Bloomberg News wrote Sunday that Trump is already working to undermine the American electoral process by attacking the Democratic presidential primary.
"Indeed, his campaign, with the full support of the Republican Party, is already waging a vigorous crusade to destroy his opposition. No, it's not Joe Biden, who inspired Trump's shakedown of Ukraine. Trump's gunning for bigger game: democracy itself," wrote Francis Wilkinson for Bloomberg.
READ IT: More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials tell Bill Barr to resign now
More than 1,100 former US Department of Justice officials called on Attorney General William P. Barr on Sunday to step down after he intervened last week to lower the Justice Department’s sentencing recommendation for President Trump’s longtime friend and political crony Roger J. Stone Jr.
“It is unheard of for the Department’s top leaders to overrule line prosecutors, who are following established policies, in order to give preferential treatment to a close associate of the President, as Attorney General Barr did in the Stone case,” wrote the former Justice Department attorneys in their Sunday letter. “It is even more outrageous for the Attorney General to intervene as he did here — after the President publicly condemned the sentencing recommendation that line prosecutors had already filed in court.”
Trump campaign forced to delete #Daytona500 Air Force One photo because it was from 15 years ago
Another oops moment happened for President Donald Trump's campaign manager stole George W. Bush's photo from the Daytona 500 in 2004.
Tweeting Sunday, Brad Parscale proclaimed, "[email protected] won the #Daytona500 before the race even started."
Except, it wasn't him. As many people pointed out, the image was from 16 years ago by photographer Jonathan Ferrey, CNN reported. Parscale was forced to delete it and tweet it out again with an underwhelming photo.