The top Democrat on the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee said on Tuesday he would support President Donald Trump’s nominee to be CIA director, Gina Haspel, all but ensuring her confirmation as the first woman to lead the spy agency.
Senator Mark Warner said it had been a “difficult decision,” but cited Haspel’s 33-year career at the CIA and support from its workforce and past intelligence community leaders.
“Most importantly, I believe she is someone who can and will stand up to the President if ordered to do something illegal or immoral – like a return to torture,” Warner said in a statement.
In a letter to Warner dated Monday, Haspel said the CIA should not have undertaken a past harsh interrogation program, which has been a focus of debate over her confirmation.
The Senate Intelligence Committee is due to vote on Wednesday on whether to approve Haspel. With Warner’s support, she is expected to have the backing of all eight committee Republicans and at least two of the seven Democrats.
Despite criticism – including from Republican Senators Rand Paul and John McCain – because of past ties to the CIA’s former rendition, detention and interrogation activities, Haspel is expected to be confirmed by the full Senate next week.
At least three other Democrats, all up for re-election this year in Republican-leaning states, have also said they support Haspel. On Tuesday, Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota announced she would be a “yes.”
Haspel pledged at her confirmation hearing that she would never restart the program, in place after the Sept. 11 attacks but did not go as far as saying it should not have been started.
Haspel in 2002 served as station chief in Thailand, where the CIA conducted interrogations at a secret prison using methods including waterboarding, widely viewed as torture.
Three years later, she drafted a cable ordering the destruction of videotapes of those interrogations.
“While I won’t condemn those that made those hard calls, and I have noted the valuable intelligence collected, the program ultimately did damage to our officers and our standing in the world,” Haspel said in the letter.
“With the benefit of hindsight and my experience as a senior Agency leader, the enhanced interrogation program is not one the CIA should have undertaken. The United States must be an example to the rest of the world, and I support that,” Haspel said.
Reporting by Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Dan Grebler and Cynthia Osterman
Liz Cheney ignites a ferocious backlash with her ‘sickening’ attack on Ocasio-Cortez over Trump’s ‘concentration camps’
Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) was widely condemned for attacking Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) for comparing the Trump administration's border detention centers to Nazi concentration camps.
The New York Democrat warned President Donald Trump's immigration policies violated human rights and could lead to something far worse, and called for action to prevent another Holocaust.
"‘Never Again’ means something," Ocasio-Cortez said. "We need to do something about it.”
Cheney lashed out at the freshman lawmaker and claimed that her remarks were insulting to Holocaust victims, and hinted they were possibly anti-Semitic.
Fox News writer: Harvard reject was just ‘espousing conservatism’ when he used the N-word 11 times
Michael Knowles argued for Fox News this week that Kyle Kashuv was only "espousing conservatism" when he was rejected by Harvard for using the N-word at least 11 times and calling to "kill all the f*cking Jews."
In an op-ed on the Foxnews.com website, Knowles asserted that Kashuv is being singled out by Harvard because he has conservative views.
"The cruel irony is that, while there is no evidence that Kyle Kashuv harbors any actual racial bigotry, there is plenty of evidence that Harvard does," Knowles wrote. "Plaintiffs in a major racial discrimination lawsuit against the university introduced evidence last year demonstrating that Harvard systematically disadvantages Asian-American applicants."
Trump’s acting Pentagon chief abruptly resigns after FBI investigation delays his Senate confirmation hearing
President Donald Trump's acting defense secretary abruptly resigned after an FBI investigation further delayed his confirmation hearings.
Patrick Shanahan has headed the Department of Defense since January, after James Mattis resigned, but the Pentagon has been fielding questions from the media about his personal life -- including accusations of abuse from his ex-wife, who was also arrested as part of a domestic dispute.
"Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan, who has done a wonderful job, has decided not to go forward with his confirmation process so that he can devote more time to his family," Trump tweeted.