A former contestant on Donald Trump’s reality TV show “The Apprentice” may pursue her defamation lawsuit against the U.S. president, a New York state judge ruled on Tuesday, despite Trump’s effort to have an appeals court put it on hold.
The contestant, Summer Zervos, has claimed that Trump sexually harassed her and defamed her when he denied her allegations. Trump has argued that as a sitting president he is immune from the lawsuit and is seeking an order from New York’s highest court freezing the case.
At a hearing in Manhattan on Tuesday, Trump’s lawyer, Marc Kasowitz, argued that the lawsuit should not go forward until the New York Court of Appeals, and if necessary, the U.S. Supreme Court, decides the issue.
“It’s merely seeking a determination at the highest level of competent jurisdiction as to the resolution of this very important constitutional issue,” Kasowitz told Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Jennifer Schecter.
Zervos’ lawyer, Mariann Wang, said multiple judges had already rebuffed Trump’s argument and the case should be allowed to go ahead.
“We understand it should be orderly. We want to cooperate with defendant in good faith to figure out when and how to proceed,” she said.
Kasowitz also said at the hearing that he may seek to bar any other women who have accused Trump of sexual misconduct from testifying in the case, though he did not make a formal motion.
Kasowitz and Wang both declined to comment after the hearing.
Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by Cynthia Osterman
Joe Shapiro’s wife disputes Mary Trump’s claim her husband took SATs for Trump
Mary Trump's upcoming tell-all book alleges that President Donald Trump's sister did his homework and friend and fellow University of Pennsylvania graduate, Joe Shapiro, took his SATs for him.
ABC News reported Wednesday that Pam Shriver, Shapiro's widow, said that he would never have done something like that.
"He always did the right thing, and that's why this hurts," said Shriver.
Kayleigh McEnany says she has no ‘data’ on whether Tulsa rally increased COVID — but city official says it likely did
At Wednesday's White House briefing, Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was confronted with the fact that President Donald Trump's rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma led to an outbreak of COVID-19 cases. Her reply was to plead ignorance: "I have no data to indicate that."
However, according to a health official in Tulsa, the pattern of cases indicates it is "likely" that it did just that.
"President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests 'likely contributed' to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday," reported Sean Murphy for the Associated Press. "Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday."
‘Height of child hunger chutzpah’: Pence uses guise of ‘nutrition’ to claims schools must reopen in fall
The administration has repeatedly sought to cut food assistance.
An anti-hunger advocate took issue with Vice President Mike Pence's Wednesday claim that fulfilling children's need for "nutrition" is a primary reason for having students return to schools in fall, calling it "the height of child hunger chutzpah."
Pence's remarks came during the latest White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing in which the vice president said it is "absolutely essential" to get students back to school "for in-person learning" and referred to the need of students who rely on school meals.