On Wednesday, Donald Trump signed an executive order purportedly ending his administration’s policy of separating children crossing the border without documentation from their parents.
But no one seems to understand how the families already separated will be reunited, reports the Wall Street Journal.
“We are extremely concerned that the administration does not seem to have any plan to reunite the more than 2,000 children forcibly separated from parents at the border in the last six weeks,” said Church World Service, which has affiliates who care for minors who arrive at the border unaccompanied by parents.
The Journal‘s in-depth story documents massive confusion, including from several organizations that stepped in to help the children and now have no idea what to do.
Trump’s directive to federal agencies was “work together to keep illegal immigrant families together during the immigration process and to reunite these previously separated groups.”
But there are no specifics.
The Journal talked to a vice president of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, who took 150 children that were separated from their parents with foster families around the country. None have been reunited so far and and the person quoted “didn’t know how the process of trying to reunite them would work.”
Another organization, which was not identified, said it had received a memo thanking it for enduring the firestorm of criticism, but with no other details.
“We have seen no information so far on reunification plans and procedures,” the person said. “We have no information that the executive order is going to help kids separated from parents already—it’s heartbreaking.”