Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Who the f*ck would go to Trump’s iftar?’ Muslims react to Trump’s dinner invite

Published

on

On Wednesday, the White House plans to host an iftar dinner, the meal that Muslims eat after sunset during the holy month of Ramadan.

As CNN reported, 30 to 40 people have been invited but the White House has yet to release the invite list. Nor is it clear how many plan to attend, given President Donald Trump’s long, long list of offenses against Muslims,  from stoking Islamophobia to fire up his base, to all but halting the resettlement of Syrian refugees in the US, to a travel ban targeting people from Muslim-majority countries.

ADVERTISEMENT

The list is virtually endless.

So it’s no surprise that some prominent Muslims are less than enthusiastic about the prospect of sharing an iftar dinner with the president.

“We do not need an iftar dinner,” Imam Yahya Hendi, the Muslim chaplain at Georgetown University, told CNN. “Rather, we need to get the respect we highly deserve. Do not feed us and stab us.”

“I was not invited to the White House iftar, but I would not attend if I were,” said Dalia Mogahed, director of research at the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding.

“Attending this event, especially during the holy month, a time of introspection and spiritual growth, would be inappropriate in my view as it would appear to normalize this administration’s behavior.”
Other prominent Muslims responded on Twitter.

Activist Linda Sarsour wondered why the Trump White House was suddenly doing Muslim outreach.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Palestinian activist and filmmaker Rula Jebreal chronicled her fraught history with the Trump administration’s dinner invites.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Activist Mona Eltahawly incredulously wondered:

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Trump Jr ripped for ‘hypocrisy’ and ‘stupidity’ as group releases new #ByeDonJr ad

Published

on

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Odd Radio Circles’ perplex astronomers studying the newly discovered phenomenon

Published

on

Astronomers believe they have discovered a new, bizarre type of cosmic object that is invisible to all wavelengths of light except radio.

This story originally appeared at Salon.

The strange circular objects in question have been unofficially dubbed "Odd Radio Circles" (ORCs); three of them were discovered in a recent data accumulated during a preliminary survey by the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder, a radio telescope array in Western Australia. A fourth Odd Radio Circle was discovered when researchers sifted through old data from 2013.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Bill Barr quietly pulls off a shake-up in a federal prosecutor’s office — but why?

Published

on

Attorney General Bill Barr’s attempt last month to push U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman out of his position at the Southern District of New York blew up in his face. While Berman was ousted, Barr didn’t get the replacement he wanted, and House Democrats are now investigating.

But last Friday night, Barr successfully pulled off a similar maneuver in the Eastern District of New York. Richard Donoghue no longer leads that office, as he has taken the position of principal associate deputy attorney general at Main Justice. Seth DuCharme, who had been principal associate deputy attorney general and worked under Barr, will now serve as the acting U.S. attorney for EDNY.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image