Quantcast
Connect with us

Breitbart lobbying prompted US envoy to raise Tommy Robinson case with British

Published

on

A representative of U.S. President Donald Trump raised the case of jailed British anti-Muslim activist Tommy Robinson with Britain’s U.S. ambassador following lobbying by the right-wing Breitbart.com website, according to a British government source and a pro-Robinson campaigner.

Former U.S. Senator Sam Brownback, Trump’s Ambassador for International Religious Freedom, told British envoy Sir Kim Darroch at a meeting in June that Breitbart “people” had contacted him about Robinson’s imprisonment, the British government source said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brownback told Darroch that British authorities should be aware that the website was making noise about the case, the source said. The British Embassy in Washington has made no public comment on the discussion.

Three pro-Robinson campaigners said there were multiple direct contacts between Brownback, his aides, people connected to Breitbart.com and other groups protesting Robinson’s imprisonment.

One of the pro-Robinson activists with direct knowledge of the issue said Brownback personally expressed dismay at British laws restricting news coverage of pending and ongoing criminal trials.

Neither Brownback nor the U.S. State Department immediately responded to requests for comment.

Robinson was arrested in late May outside a courthouse in Leeds, England, while making video recordings about a trial related to child molestation. He was jailed for 13 months. Robinson’s trial lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Robinson’s real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, though he uses a number of aliases. He is a founder of the English Defence League, which has organized violent demonstrations against Islamic immigrants in the UK in the past decade. More recently, Robinson has branded himself a journalist and campaigner against Islamic extremism, a move that won him contacts with American anti-Muslim activists.

U.S. Congressman Louis Gosar and a former Breitbart London editor were among speakers who addressed thousands of protesters at a pro-Robinson rally near the British parliament on Saturday.

Also visiting London for several days was Steven Bannon, former top White House advisor to Donald Trump and former chairman of Breitbart.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bannon did not participate in Saturday’s pro-Robinson protest. But in a radio discussion with Nigel Farage, former leader of the anti-immigrant United Kingdom Independence Party, Bannon said Robinson should be released from prison.

Reporting By Mark Hosenball in London; additional reporting by Lesley Wroughton in Washington; Editing by Nick Tattersall

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Billionaire Mike Bloomberg launches what ‘might be the biggest political ad buy of all time’: report

Published

on

Billionaire presidential hopeful Mike Bloomberg is launching a massive television ad buy as he seeks the 2020 Democratic Party nomination.

So far, Bloomberg has purchased $19.4 million worth of ad reservations -- for just next week -- Politico reported Friday.

Politico interviewed Ben Taber of Advertising Analytics, which tracks television ad spending.

“This buy is MASSIVE,” Taber said. "I think it‘s going to be the biggest buy of all time" and it "seems like this might pass that for largest buy in one week."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Billionaire Walton family behind pro-charter school protest at Elizabeth Warren rally

Published

on

The senator spoke with the parents who protested her education plan after the event.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren's rally on Thursday night in Atlanta was interrupted by a group of parents protesting the Massachusetts Democrat's stance on charter schools—but the grassroots-appearing demonstration was reportedly funded by the billionaire Walton family, which has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into privately-run schools critics say pull money away from public education.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Authorities thwart school shooting in Los Angeles — and seized assault-style rifle with 100 rounds of ammunition

Published

on

Authorities have thwarted another mass shooting. A 13-year-old boy was planning a mass shooting at his Los Angeles school but police were able to stop him and seize his weapons.

Among the items taken was an assault-style rifle with about 100 rounds of ammunition, according to CNN's Josh Campbell.

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1197973092544454658

According to NBC News, "the discovery was made in response to a call about a student who wanted to shoot other students and staff. He added that the suspect, who was not immediately identified, purchased parts on the internet to build a "ghost gun" — meaning it was assembled at home and had no serial numbers, a way for owners to avoid registering them."

Continue Reading