A Los Angeles judge on Friday dissolved a temporary restraining order on a business manager accused of elder abuse against Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee, saying she was unsure who was authorized to represent Lee.
Two attorneys both told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ruth Kleman they represented Lee, 95, whose well-being has been a cause of concern for months.
“I’m concerned who has authority to represent Mr. Lee,” Kleman said. She dismissed the restraining order issued last month against memorabilia collector and business manager Keya Morgan on grounds of alleged elder abuse.
Morgan has denied the allegations. Neither Lee nor Morgan were in court for Friday’s hearing. Morgan’s attorney, Alex Kessel, did not comment
Lee, the co-creator of comic book superheroes Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk and dozens of others, has an estate worth some $50 million, according to previous court documents.
But his well-being has been the subject of numerous headlines following the death a year ago of his wife, Joan, the firing of previous close associates, and the influence of Morgan.
The Hollywood Reporter in April published a lengthy investigation, which concluded that Lee was caught in the middle of several people close to him who were vying for control over his personal and financial affairs.
Tom Lallas, the attorney who filed for the restraining order last month, was fired by Lee earlier this year, Lee’s daughter, J.C. Lee, told reporters after Friday’s hearing.
“My father has a strong team behind him, and he’s doing very well. I’ve known exactly what was happening every step of the way,” she said.
Attorney Robert J. Reynolds, who said he now represents Lee, told reporters after Friday’s hearing that a new request for a temporary restraining order against Morgan would be filed.
Morgan said in a Twitter statement last month that he had “shown nothing but love, respect & kindness to Stan Lee, & his wife, a fact he has repeated countless time. I have NEVER EVER abused my dear friend.”
However Lee’s company POW! Entertainment expressed its concern in a statement in April, saying that his appearances and speeches earlier this year were “not the normal Stan disposition, which is usually loaded with an endless energy and exuberance that fans around the world have come to love and admire throughout the years.”
Reporting by Dana Feldman; writing by Jill Serjeant; editing by Bill Tarrant and Jonathan Oatis
Trump official Mina Chang quits after being busted inflating her resumé
President Donald Trump has lost another top official in his State Department, days after Marie Yovanovitch testified the department had been "hollowed out."
"Mina Chang, a high-ranking State Department staffer who vaulted into the public spotlight after NBC reported she had inflated her resume, has resigned from her position," Politico reported Monday.
Popular right-wing radio host says he was fired in the middle of his show for criticizing Trump
Liberals and progressives aren’t the only ones right-wing media can be unfair to: they can also be horribly unfair to conservatives. And one of them appears to be radio host Craig Silverman, who says he was fired by Denver’s KNUS 710 AM on Saturday for criticizing President Donald Trump on the air.
As much as right-wing outlets complain about “political correctness” and hypersensitive liberal “snowflakes” who are intolerant of other points of view, those same outlets often expect their employees to be in total lockstep politically — which, in 2019, often means not saying a word against Trump. According to Silverman, he was doing a segment on the late right-wing attorney Roy Cohn (who represented Trump in the 1970s) when KNUS’ program director entered the studio and told him, “You’re done.”
Trump’s European golf courses lost over $20 million last year
For the fifth straight year in a row, Donald Trump's Ireland golf course, Trump International Golf Links and Hotel Doonbeg, reported a loss of $1.7 million in 2018. According to a report from The Washington Post, filings made public by the Irish government this Monday "underscored that the Trump Organization has yet to find a profitable formula at its European golf courses," despite large sums of money going into the properties.
Although all of Trump golf courses in Europe saw revenue rise, there was no overall profit. As the Post points out, losses last year for the properties totaled more than $20 million. However, Trump's course in Doonbeg, Ireland, saw a slight improvement, posting an operating profit of over $3,300, contrasted with an operating loss of nearly $400,000 in 2017. Additionally, the 2018 loss was an improvement over the previous year, which saw losses of $2.1 million.