Quantcast
Connect with us

South Korea’s Moon says North Korea-US talks ‘on track’, criticism a ploy

Published

on

South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Thursday that North Korea’s criticism of the United States after recent talks on denuclearisation was part of its strategy and negotiations between them are on the “right track”.

North Korea accused the United States on Saturday of making “gangster-like” demands in the talks in North Korea late last week, contradicting U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who said the old enemies had made progress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Moon, speaking in Singapore with its president and prime minister, said that talks on the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula between North Korea and the United States may face hurdles and take time, his office said.

“No one can be optimistic about the results, but my cautious outlook is that the negotiations would be able to succeed if the North carries out a complete denuclearisation, and the international community gathers efforts to provide security guarantees to the North,” Moon said.

The North’s criticism was a “strategy” meant to show its frustration about what it sees as a lack of action from the United States in response to the steps it had recently taken, Moon said.

The North has invited foreign journalists, but not experts as promised, to the dismantling of a nuclear site, and pledged to close a missile engine testing facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

The United States and South Korea have halted annual joint military exercises that North Korea has for years objected to.

Pompeo also said the two sides had agreed to hold discussions on Thursday at the inter-Korean border village of Panmunjom on the repatriation of remains of Americans killed in the 1950-53 Korean War.

But no one showed up from the North, South Korea’s Yonhap news agency said, citing a government official.

ADVERTISEMENT

The return of U.S. remains was one of the key agreements to come from U.S. President Donald Trump’s June summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

A U.S. State Department spokesman declined to comment on Thursday except to note that Pompeo had said after his talks in Pyongyang that the date for the meeting to discuss the repatriation of remains was flexible.

Pompeo said just before leaving Pyongyang last Saturday that the meeting was set for July 12, but “could move by one day or two”.

ADVERTISEMENT

South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported that North Korea had called for general-level military negotiations to discuss the return of U.S. remains.

Citing an unidentified South Korean official, Yonhap reported that the North Koreans wanted to speak with an American general, possibly as early as Sunday.

Neither U.S. nor South Korean officials would immediately confirm the report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Moon said North Korea wanted the United States to take action to end hostile relations and build trust.

He said he saw a big difference in North Korea’s attitudes to talks. In the past, it had demanded sanctions relief and economic concessions first, he said.

Reporting by Hyonhee Shin; Additional reporting by David Brunnstrom in Brussels; Editing by Nick Macfie, Robert Birsel


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Kellyanne Conway lashes out at Democratic voters as ‘racist and sexist’ at Ohio GOP dinner

Published

on

Making an appearance at a Republican Party dinner in Columbus, Ohio, Kellyanne Conway accused Democratic voters of being "racist and sexist," in a diatribe as she tried to boost the fortunes of her boss, President Donald Trump.

According to a report from Cincinnati.com, Conway attacked the leading Democratic presidential nominees before making her claim.

“Their top three candidates are white, career politicians in their 60s and 70s, which I have nothing against except they (Democrats) certainly do,” Conway reportedly told the crowd. “I don’t know why the heck the Democratic party electorate is so racist and sexist. I can’t figure it out.”

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Betsy DeVos’ DOE threatens to cut university funding for positive portrayal of Islam

Published

on

The U.S Department of Education threatened to pull federal funding from a Middle East studies course jointly run by Duke University and the University of North Carolina because it portrays Islam too positively.

The DOE ordered the universities to change their program or lose its federal grant money. In a letter to UNC, the department criticized the program, arguing that topics like Iranian art and film have “little or no relevance” to the Middle East studies program. The letter also argues that the program “appears to lack balance” because its programs are not focused on the discrimination faced by “religious minorities in the Middle East," including Christians and Jews.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Wall Street is ignoring the omens of recession — here’s why

Published

on

The Federal Reserve seems a lot more concerned about the state of the economy than it’s been letting on.

The Fed lowered its target interest rate by a quarter point on Sept. 18, the second such cut since July – and the first reductions since the Great Recession more than 10 years ago.

Judging by the words of Fed Chair Jerome Powell, this isn’t that big a deal. In his statement following the decision, he said: “We took this step to help keep the U.S. economy strong in the face of some notable developments and to provide insurance against ongoing risks.”

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Investigate and Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image