Quantcast
Connect with us

US police find body of boy at raided camp

Published

on

The body of a four-year-old boy has been found in a dilapidated camp in the US state of New Mexico where 11 children were rescued in appalling conditions, police said.

Two men were arrested in a raid on Friday as part of the operation connected to a months-long search for the child, according to New Mexico’s Taos County Sheriff’s office.

“We discovered the remains yesterday on Abdul’s fourth birthday,” Sheriff Jerry Hogrefe said Tuesday, appearing to fight back tears.

The investigation kicked off late last year on the opposite side of the country in Jonesboro, Georgia, where 39-year-old Siraj Wahhaj was accused of kidnapping his young son Abdul-Ghani.

The boy’s mother told police her child, who she said suffered from seizures along with developmental and cognitive problems, went to a park with his father Wahhaj last December and never returned.

ADVERTISEMENT

On August 2, Sheriff Hogrefe issued a search warrant describing “a makeshift compound surrounded by tires and an earthen berm” where Wahhaj along with adult Lucas Morten were thought to be in hiding.

TAOS COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE/AFP/File / HandoutThe investigation kicked off late last year on the opposite side of the country in Jonesboro, Georgia, where 39-year-old Siraj Wahhaj (pictured) of the state’s Clayton County was accused of kidnapping his toddler Abdul-Ghani

The next day, a dozen officers kicked off the “all day” operation, discovering hidden beneath New Mexico’s scrubland the two men with an AR-15 rifle, five loaded 30-round magazines and four loaded pistols, including one in Wahhaj’s pocket.

Morten was charged with harboring a fugitive and Wahhaj was booked without bond on his Georgia warrant for child abduction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Three women thought to be parents of the children — aged one to 15 and all now in protective custody — were also detained for questioning. They were released pending further investigation.

In the first operation, Abdul was not found.

But the officers returned to the site after questioning the suspects on Friday and Saturday, which led them to believe that the boy was still there.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We had a good idea of a target location to look for the child,” Hogrefe said.

Abdul’s mother told the authorities that Siraj Wahhaj wanted to exorcize his son because he considered that his disability was due to a demon.

The other boys “are all safe and their needs are being met,” Henry Varela, communications director of the New Mexico Department of Children, Youth and Families, told AFP.

ADVERTISEMENT

The rubbish-strewn camp had little by way of food or water, while its inhabitants did not have shoes and wore rags for clothes.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

DOJ censors Mueller ahead of highly-anticipated congressional testimony

Published

on

Claims 'Presidential Privilege'

President Donald Trump's Dept. of Justice is censoring former Special Counsel Robert Mueller ahead of his highly-anticipated congressional testimony Wednesday.

According to Politico the Trump DOJ is claiming anything outside of what is already published in the special counsel's 448-page report falls under "presidential privilege" and cannot be used during his testimony.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Conservatives are furious over Trump’s budget deal with Democrats — president brags about ‘real compromise’

Published

on

Nancy Pelosi clap

House conservatives are livid after President Donald Trump struck a budget deal with Democrats.

"You should veto this bill because it is fiscally irresponsible," the lawmakers wrote in a letter to Trump. "It blows well beyond what was intended with the 2011 [Budget Control Act] caps. Furthermore, it continues spending hundreds of billions more than what we take in a year and does not put our nation on a path towards a balanced budget."

The effort is being driven by first-term Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX).

"As the greatest nation in the history of the world, the least we can do is cut a deal that does not sabotage the fiscal future of our nation while endangering millions of American and migrants because of our porous border," the lawmakers wrote. "We can do better."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Male Fox News personality rewarded by the network after being caught sending lewd texts to female colleague

Published

on

Less than, two weeks after the Huffington Post published shocking text messages a Fox News contributor reportedly sent to his female Fox Nation co-host, the network rewarded the male employee.

“Tyrus, a Fox News contributor and a host on the network’s digital channel, Fox Nation, sent lewd and inappropriate text messages to his now-former Fox Nation co-host, Britt McHenry, according to four sources familiar with the texts’ contents,” the Huffington Post reported.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image