A gunman who killed five people in Bakersfield, California, and then took his own life was recently divorced and may have forced his ex-wife to accompany him to a trucking business before shooting her and other victims, authorities said on Thursday.
Javier Casarez, 54, may have planned whom he was going to target in Wednesday evening’s shooting spree, but his exact motive remains unclear, Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood told a news conference.
Detectives had a lot of work to do investigating the incident, which unfolded over half an hour within an area of several city blocks, said the sheriff, who has called such mass shootings the “new normal” in the United States.
Last week, a gunman killed three people at a bank in downtown Cincinnati before he was shot to death by police.
“We’re seeing this across the nation, people taking handguns and shooting people with more than one victim at a time,” Youngblood said on Thursday, adding: “It’s just something that I hope we don’t become immune to.”
The attack in Bakersfield, a community of 375,000 people about 90 miles (145 km) north of Los Angeles, began at a trucking business where Casarez showed up with his ex-wife, Petra Maribel Bolanos De Casarez, 45, police said.
It was unclear what Casarez did for a living, but there may have been some connection between his family and the trucking business, Youngblood said.
Casarez pulled out a .50-caliber handgun, a large weapon, and shot an employee, then fatally shot his wife, Youngblood said.
He then chased another man from the trucking company and fatally shot him in front of a nearby sports store.
His next stop was at a nearby house, where he killed a man and the victim’s adult daughter, who may have tried to protect her father, Youngblood said. Casarez appears to have known that household, the sheriff said.
Casarez then commandeered a vehicle from a woman, taking the car without harming her or a child who was with her, Youngblood said.
“It made us believe the others (victims) were targeted for a specific reason,” he said.
Casarez then drove into the parking lot of a friend’s business, where a sheriff’s deputy confronted him and he shot himself to death, Youngblood said.
Additional reporting by Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Peter Cooney
Trump’s push to reopen schools appears to be blowing up in his face: polls
President Donald Trump has been adamant that schools reopen in the fall, although he has given little to no guidance for how to do so in a way that won't lead to further eruptions of the novel coronavirus.
However, Business Insider reports that the president's rush to get schools open may already be coming back to bite him.
As evidence, the publication cited several national polls that show opposition to Trump's plans.
"A Politico/Morning Consult national tracking poll released on Wednesday found that 53% of voters oppose 'fully reopening' daycares and K-12 schools, 50% oppose a full reopening of colleges and universities, and 65% oppose Trump's threats to pull federal funding from schools that don't re-open," Business Insider writes.
Scientists fear the US could be battered by a second pandemic while still fighting COVID-19: report
When health experts warn about the possibility of the United States suffering a “double whammy” with coronavirus, they are likely referring to two COVID-19 waves: the first wave (which has recently taken a turn for the worse in many Sun Belt states) followed by a possible second wave later this year in the fall and the winter. That’s how the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918/1919 behaved: it was brutal during the spring but even more brutal when a second wave killed millions in the fall and the winter. But in a July 15 article for The Atlantic, journalist Ed Yong describes a different type of double whammy scenario: one in which the U.S. continues to be battered by COVID-19 while a separate coronavirus emerges and inflicts widespread misery.
WATCH: Homeless man begs for mercy during ‘brutal attack’ by NYC cop — and then gets charged with felony assault
Body cam video shows a New York City police officer punching and dragging a homeless man off a subway train in May. But according to The City, Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance is charging the homeless man with felony assault for allegedly slapping the officer’s hand away while the cop tried to cuff him.
"Joseph T., 30, who asked that his last name not be used because he fears retaliation, left a Manhattan homeless shelter with his belongings in a few tote bags. He got tired of waiting for a bed, huddled with others in the entrance area, he said," The City reports. "It was around 12:30 a.m. on May 25, according to a criminal complaint, when police approached Joseph because, Officer Shimul Saha said, he was 'occupying more than one seat' on the near-empty No. 6 train. Joseph left the car and moved to the next one."