Nine people were injured Saturday on the sidelines of opposing demonstrations by the far-right and the left in the German city of Chemnitz, which was hit by anti-migrant protests last week.
Chemnitz has been in the spotlight after violent xenophobic protests erupted over the fatal stabbing of a German man, allegedly by a Syrian and an Iraqi last Sunday.
On Saturday, thousands of people answered a joint call by far-right party AfD and Islamophobic PEGIDA street movement to descend once again on the streets.
But an equally large contingent of counter protesters, including Green party and Social Democratic Party MPs, also converged in former communist city to take a stand against racism.
According to police estimates, a total of 9,500 demonstrators turned up for the separate protests.
Local police, backed up by officers from across Germany, were out in force to keep both sides from clashing during the demonstrations.
But as the rallies cleared, scuffles took place among small groups, leaving nine people injured, police said in a statement released late Saturday.
Police are also examining at least 25 possible offences, including bodily harm, property damage and resistance against law enforcement officers.
Away from Chemnitz city centre, a 20-year-old Afghan man suffered light injuries after he was assaulted by four masked men. Police said they were investigating if the perpetrators counted among demonstrators.
Two smaller protests were planned on Sunday. One is titled “Chemnitz residents sending a democratic signal against violence and xenophobia” while the second is organised by the protestant church.
Another major event is expected on Monday, when German punk band Die Toten Hosen leads a free concert against racism.
The tensions in Chemnitz have revived debate over Chancellor Angela Merkel’s decision three years ago to keep Germany’s borders open to asylum seekers, many fleeing war in Syria and Iraq.
Misgivings run high in Saxony state, where Chemnitz is located, over the arrival of more than a million asylum seekers since 2015.
The far-right AfD party has won strong support in the region through its campaign against migrant arrivals, and surveys suggest that it is poised to become Saxony’s second biggest party in next year’s regional elections.
Trump’s administration set a new low in immigration cruelty last week — here’s how
While most of the nation was distracted by a corporate war over fried chicken sandwiches and the president’s claims to messiah status, the Trump administration managed to have one of the most destructive weeks on immigration yet.
This article first appeared on Salon.
It began on Monday with a closed-door background briefing with reporters handpicked by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to selectively announce the unilateral cancelation of the 1997 Flores Settlement Agreement, which limits the time children can spend in immigrant detention and establishes minimum standards for the holding facilities for families and children. The Trump administration now plans to hold children with no deadline for release, a practice known to cause long-term developmental harm.
Fresh sex assault allegations could delay Harvey Weinstein’s trial
Fallen movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, indicted over two sexual assault allegations, is to be informed of new allegations against him Monday that could delay his trial and complicate his defense.
New York prosecutors announced on Thursday that they had filed a new indictment against the 67-year-old former producer. The original accusations against him were a catalyst for America's #MeToo movement.
The document is expected to be made public in a state court on Monday, two weeks before jury selection for his trial is scheduled to start on September 9.
Trump ‘not happy’ after North Korea’s Kim oversees latest rocket test
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un supervised the test-firing of a high-tech rocket system, state media reported Sunday, prompting criticism from US President Donald Trump, who said he was "not happy" with the latest launch.
Pyongyang fired what appeared to be two short-range ballistic missiles on Saturday, South Korea's military said, the latest in a series of recent launches in protest at the South's joint exercises with the US, which wrapped up last week.
North Korea's official news agency described the weapon as a "super-large multiple rocket launcher".