Quantcast
Connect with us

US federal government posts widest deficit since 2012

Published

on

The U.S. federal government closed the 2018 fiscal year $779 billion in the red as tax cuts hit revenues and the government paid more to service a growing national debt, according to Treasury Department data released on Monday.

The deficit for the fiscal year – or the 12 months through September – was the largest since 2012.

The data also showed a $119 billion budget surplus in September, which was larger than expected and a record for the month. A senior Treasury official said the monthly surplus was smaller when adjusted for calendar shifts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Economists generally view the corporate and individual tax cuts passed by the Trump administration late last year and an increase in government spending agreed in early February as likely to balloon the nation’s deficit.

The deficit in the 12 months through September was $113 billion – or 17 percent – bigger than in the same period a year earlier. Adjusting for calendar effects, the gap was even larger, the Treasury official said.

Much of the widening of the deficit came from more spending on interest payments on the national debt. Borrowing has increased over the last year, partially to make up for slower growth in tax revenues due to the tax cuts.

Also fueling debt servicing costs, the U.S. Federal Reserve has been slowly raising interest rates since 2015 in a bid to keep inflation under control.

President Donald Trump has criticized the Fed, saying on Oct. 10 that the U.S. central bank had “gone crazy.” Another factor in the widening of the deficit was an increase in spending on the military.

ADVERTISEMENT

With the calendar adjustments, the trade surplus in September was $59 billion compared with a $56 billion surplus the year earlier, the Treasury official said. The gap for the fiscal year was $827 billion versus an adjusted $658 billion in fiscal 2017.

Reporting by Jason Lange; Editing by Andrea Ricci

ADVERTISEMENT

Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Close friend of the president’: The Hill’s owner let columnist feed Trump conspiracy stories — here’s why

Published

on

According to a report from CNN, the owner of "The Hill" has managed to fly under the radar as Donald Trump is facing impeachment despite the fact that he personally approved of conspiracy-based columns by the now-departed John Solomon that the president has used to defend his Ukraine dealings.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Devin Nunes defends discredited Hill columnist John Solomon in bonkers opening statement

Published

on

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) delivered a opening statement on Tuesday in which he attacked the mainstream media while praising a former columnist for The Hill whose work has been widely discredited by multiple witnesses in the impeachment inquiry.

Columnist John Solomon, whose debunked opinion columns about Ukraine helped Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani spread conspiracy theories about Ukraine supposedly being responsible for interference in the 2016 presidential election, has come under heavy criticism and The Hill announced this week that it would conduct a factual review of all his past work on Ukraine.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

READ IT: Vindman calls out Trump allies for attacking impeachment witnesses in opening statement

Published

on

Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman called out attacks on his character as he accused President Donald Trump of engaging of inappropriate discussions with Ukraine's president.

The National Security Council staffer testified that he believed Trump's request for an investigation of Joe Biden was inappropriate, and he reported the call and his concerns through official channels to a superior out of a sense of duty, according to his opening statement.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image