Quantcast
Connect with us

‘I was wrong’: Matt Gaetz admits his ‘caravan’ conspiracy video is based on a lie — but defends it anyway

Published

on

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) admitted on Sunday that he had provided false information when he tweeted a video of a “caravan” of Latinos who he suggested had been paid by liberal billionaire George Soros.

In a tweet last week, Gaetz sent a video of a group of people, who he said were from Honduras and asked if they were being paid by Soros to illegally come to the U.S. The video was later re-tweeted by President Donald Trump.

ADVERTISEMENT

During a panel discussion on CNN, Gaetz conceded that he had been wrong about the video.

“I was wrong,” Gaetz told CNN’s Jake Tapper. “It wasn’t in Honduras, it was in Guatemala. That tape was provided to me by Honduran government officials. It was collected by Central American intelligence officials. And I think we’ve got to learn a lot more about how these large organizations of people come together.”

Gaetz said that he had learned that there were three groups: “the thugs, the organizers and then you have a lot of desperate migrants.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“You have those thugs forcing local businesses to turn over cash and resources,” he continued. “That’s a problem. If you have organizers working in concert with U.S. NGOs or left-leaning groups, that’s also a problem.”

Gaetz, however, failed to offer evidence that a liberal conspiracy was behind the caravan.

Democratic strategist Symone Sanders slammed Gaetz for the misleading tweet.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I don’t think we should be fear mongering,” Sanders said. “There’s a real conversation we need to have about immigration this country. Unfortunately, some folks — your tweet included — weren’t having it.”

Florida Republican Attorney General Pam Bondi tied the issue to the opioid crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

“All I’m seeing is young kids overdosing on opioids,” she opined. “And they are coming — I never thought in any of our lifetimes we would see heroin in a pill form — that is coming in to our country from Mexico!”

Watch the video below from CNN.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

2020 Election

Pete Buttigieg answers those who question his family values: ‘I’ve never had to pay off a porn star’

Published

on

Mayor Pete Buttigieg appeared on CNN Tuesday for a town hall in Nevada where he was asked about his sexual orientation. Thus far, Buttigieg is the first openly gay presidential candidate being taken seriously by both the media and the electorate.

He was asked by a voter how he would deal with the flood of personal attacks on his sexual orientation and his family.

He explained that it would happen and he was ready for it. Speaking about his coming-out story, Buttigieg said that he wasn't sure what impact it would have on his career but that he didn't want to not have a personal life anymore after he got out of the military.

Continue Reading

CNN

Bernie Sanders calls for an end to ‘Bernie Bro’ behavior at town hall: ‘I don’t tolerate ugly attacks against anybody’

Published

on

At Tuesday's CNN town hall, Las Vegas caretaker Maria Carrillo asked Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) about the culture of online harassment surrounding his supporters. Sanders firmly condemned bullying behavior at the hands of the "Bernie Bros" — and called on other candidates to join him in watching the tone of their supporters as well.

"Hello, Senator Sanders," said Carrillo. "So I'm a big supporter. For those who still need to hear it, will you condemn the Bernie Bro behavior?"

"I will condemn absolutely anybody, including my campaign or any other campaign, that makes vicious personal attacks against people," said Sanders. "What our people are involved in — we are a campaign which believes in compassion, which believes in justice. So I don't tolerate ugly attacks against anybody. But let me just say this. Talk to the people in my campaign, often the African-American women in this campaign, talk to my wife about the kind of ugly attacks that have come in to us. So right now, which is a very serious national problem, we have an internet which is essentially the Wild West. Somebody could say, 'hey, I'm Anderson Cooper' and zippo, say some ugly things, and right now that cannot be stopped."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump meddled in a lot more than just the Stone case — he’s also using his DOJ to play favorites among corporations

Published

on

Trump’s effort to influence the outcome of the prosecution of his buddy Roger Stone represents another threat to the rule of law in the United States. Yet it is not just the rule of criminal law that is endangered. The Trump Administration has also been meddling with civil law, particularly in the area of antitrust.

This has been going on for a while. Early in his administration, the Trump Justice Department sought to block AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner, mainly, it appears, because the president wanted to get back at Time Warner subsidiary CNN for its negative coverage of him. Even after a federal court ruled in favor of AT&T and allowed it to close the deal, Justice continued its legal crusade. A year ago, some critics were arguing that Trump’s actions with regard to AT&T amounted to an impeachable offense.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image