Homeland Security’s Kirstjen Nielsen snaps at judges who quashed Trump’s campaign stunt: It’s a ‘dangerous ruling’
Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen wasn’t happy with the judge who shut down President Donald Trump’s political stunt on the border.
The Arizona Republic reported Tuesday on the decision by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals that the administration was barred from limiting the migrants from seeking asylum. Trump railed against the court during a quick Q&A before leaving the White House for the Thanksgiving holiday.
The embattled secretary followed the president’s lead and took it a step further.
“Let me be clear, this court from a chamber in San Francisco has replaced the president’s judgment with regards to the fully delegated authority to determine what is a true national security threat to our nation’s sovereignty,” Nielsen told reporters. “This is a dangerous ruling, and given last year’s Supreme Court ruling on this issue, will undoubtedly be overturned.”
The White House then released a statement saying it would “open the floodgates” for more migrants to enter the country illegally.
“This temporary injunction is yet another example of activist judges imposing their open borders policy preferences, which are rejected by the overwhelming majority of the American people, and interfering with the executive branch’s authority to administer the immigration system in a manner that ensures the Nation’s safety, security, and the rule of law,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.
Just a week prior to the election, the president railed against the migrant caravan coming from Central American violence. He claimed the families and children were hiding ISIS soldiers who wanted to harm Americans. Reports, however, revealed the president was wrong about the fact.
Reporters followed up with troops that were sitting on the border ahead of the caravan. Most of them had nothing to do and noted that they were bored. One week after the election, the president made the decision to pull the troops out. Thus far, the president cost taxpayers $72 million for the troops.