Quantcast
Connect with us

Photos emerge of Ian David Long — the ex-Marine accused of killing 12 in Thousand Oaks mass shooting

Published

on

A 28-year-old former Marine opened fire in a California country music bar packed with college students, killing 12 people including a police officer as dozens of terrified youngsters stampeded towards the door, authorities said Thursday.

The gunman — who apparently killed himself — stepped into the Borderline Bar and Grill around 11:20 pm Wednesday and coolly began shooting, witnesses said, unleashing pandemonium as terrified patrons scrambled to escape.

“He had perfect form,” bar patron Teylor Whittler told Fox News. “He looked like he knew what he was doing, he had practiced.”

Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean told a news conference the suspect had been identified as Ian David Long, a veteran of the US Marine Corps.

He was found dead at the bar in Thousand Oaks, California, an upscale city northwest of Los Angeles.

ADVERTISEMENT

A photograph of shooting suspect Ian David Long, which was posted on social media in 2010. (Facebook)

Dean said authorities so far had no indication of a motive, or of any connection to terrorism. He said the victims were apparently targeted at random.

“We believe he shot himself,” said Dean, who earlier described it as a “horrific scene.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Dean said his department had “several contacts” with Long over the years, for minor incidents including a traffic collision, and in 2015 when he was beaten up at a local bar.

In April this year, deputies were called to his house for a disturbance and found him “acting a little irrationally.”

An undated photograph of Ian David Long, which was obtained by CBS News. (Screenshot)

ADVERTISEMENT

“They felt he might be suffering from PTSD, the fact he was a veteran and had been in the corps,” Dean said.

“They called out our crisis intervention team, our mental health specialists who met with him, talked to him, and cleared him.”

Dean said Long was believed to have been armed with a single handgun when he launched Wednesday’s attack.

ADVERTISEMENT

A photograph of shooting suspect Ian David Long, which was posted on social media in 2011. (Facebook)

“It appears he walked up to the scene. He shot the security guard that was standing outside. He stepped inside,” Dean said.

“It appears that he turned to the right and shot several of the other security and employees there, and then began opening fire inside the nightclub.”

ADVERTISEMENT

– ‘Everyone dove to the floor’ –

Among those killed in the assault was a three-decade veteran of the sheriff’s department, 54-year-old Ron Helus, who was married and had a grown son.

“He went in there to save people and made the ultimate sacrifice,” Dean said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The other 11 victims have yet to be identified by the authorities. Besides the dead, around a dozen other people were injured.

Matt Wennerstron, a 20-year-old college student who regularly attended events at the bar, said the shooter fired a short-barreled pistol that apparently had a 10-15 round magazine.

“Then, when (he) started to reload, that’s when we got people out of there and I didn’t look back,” Wennerstron said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ian David Long in an undated photo obtained by ABC7 News. (Screenshot)

He said he and others smashed their way out of the bar onto a balcony and then jumped down to safety. “One bar stool went straight through a window,” he told reporters.

Jasmin Alexander, who was part of a group of around 15 friends at the bar, said there was chaos and confusion inside when shots first rang out.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It was a normal Wednesday. We were just at the bar, having fun, dancing,” she told reporters after escaping.

“All of a sudden we heard the ‘bang, bang’ of the gunshots and it just started going crazy and people were pushing.

“We thought it was a joke, we didn’t take it seriously at first… because it sounded like firecrackers and everyone just dropped down to the floor.”

ADVERTISEMENT

TV footage showed SWAT teams surrounding the bar, with distraught revelers milling around and using their cell phones as lights from police cars flashed.

President Donald Trump tweeted that he had “been fully briefed on the terrible shooting,” the latest chapter in America’s epidemic of gun violence that came just 10 days after a gunman killed 11 worshippers at a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

Last year, a country music festival in Las Vegas was the scene of the worst mass shooting in modern US history. A gunman shooting from the 32nd floor of a hotel and casino with high power weapons killed 58 people.

ADVERTISEMENT

A photograph of shooting suspect Ian David Long, which was posted on social media in 2012. (Facebook)

— —


Report typos and corrections to [email protected].

Send confidential news tips to [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

WATCH: Employee at Tim Hortons slurs Muslim couple and tells them ‘go back to your own country’

Published

on

According to a report from Deadline Detroit, a Muslim advocacy group has filed a complaint against a local Tim Horton's location after an employee insulted a Muslim couple and told them to "go back to their own country," followed by a sexist slur.

The report states Alaa Kouider and her husband, Ameur Dhaimini, were purchasing coffee at the local fast food location when they got into an argument with the cashier.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Former New Hampshire GOP chair: Trump is using ‘the worst kind of racism’ to tear America apart

Published

on

President Donald Trump this past week ratcheted up racist rhetoric against four Democratic women of color, culminating in chants of "send her back" directed at Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) during a Trump rally on Wednesday night.

Jennifer Horn, the former chairwoman of the New Hampshire Republican Party, has written an editorial for USA Today in which she laments the fact that the entire Republican Party has been transformed by Trump into a "racist, nationalist movement" that she believes is tearing the country apart.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Immigration expert explains why Trump’s migrant policy won’t work

Published

on

After President Trump let the audience at his rally in Greenville, North Carolina, shout "send her back!" after he falsely accused Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) of anti-Semitism, Republicans grew nervous about a backlash -- that this time, Trump had gone too far.

But the incident merely caps years of severe and inhumane rhetoric and policy targeting migrants. Raw Story spoke with Stephen Yale-Loehr, Professor of Immigration Law Practice at Cornell Law School, about why Trump and the GOP are enacting inhumane policies that won't even work to accomplish their goals.

Raw Story: In modern history, has anyone actually managed to shut down migration successfully or is Trump enacting all these vicious policies for nothing really? It seems like people who want to migrate really can't be stopped?

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image