Quantcast
Connect with us

Geoffrey Rush faces fresh claims of inappropriate behaviour

Published

on

Academy award-winner Geoffrey Rush on Monday faced fresh allegations of inappropriate behaviour by an actress, amid his defamation battle with an Australian newspaper over separate claims.

Australian actress Yael Stone, who stars in Netflix hit “Orange is the New Black”, told The New York Times that Rush had danced naked in front of her in their dressing room, when she starred opposite him in the theatre production “The Diary of a Madman” in 2010 and 2011.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 33-year-old also says he used a mirror to watch her as she showered, and sent her erotic text messages.

Rush said in a statement published by the US newspaper that Stone’s allegations were “incorrect and in some instances have been taken completely out of context”.

“However, clearly Yael has been upset on occasion by the spirited enthusiasm I generally bring to my work,” the Australian actor added.

GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP / Frederick M. BrownStone stars as Lorna Morello in the Netflix hit ‘Orange is the New Black’

“I sincerely and deeply regret if I have caused her any distress. This, most certainly, has never been my intention.”

Stone told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that she did not complain at that time, wanting to protect her budding career.

ADVERTISEMENT

She said while she had been uncomfortable with Rush’s behaviour, she rarely chided him and played a “court jester” role instead.

“(I was) very inexperienced, he was this person who is an internationally lauded star, he’s pretty much won every award you can win,” she told ABC, in an interview to air Monday.

“I was just there to serve him, and I think I probably took that too far and too literally.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Stone said she was speaking up so other young performers would not feel they have to stay silent if they went through similar experiences.

“It’s become clear that it’s in the public interest I talk about these matters. Whenever women, particularly, speak about issues like this, their career generally suffers,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I’ve factored that into my calculations and if that happens I think it’s worth it. I have a very young baby girl and I want to say to her one day, ‘You know, it was hard, but I did it anyway’.”

Rush, 67, is suing Sydney’s Daily Telegraph newspaper after a front-page story in November last year reported that the Sydney Theatre Company received a complaint about him when he was working there.

The case, which is being held in the Federal Court, has heard allegations that he inappropriately touched a female co-star during an Australian rendition of “King Lear”.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I believed that he had done it deliberately,” Eryn Jean Norvill told the court.

These latest allegations by Stone were published in a Times opinion column about the legal challenges of going public in Australia amid the global #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.

Rush won the Best Actor Academy Award in 1997 for his role in “Shine” and is one of the few stars to have also won a primetime Emmy and a Tony Award.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

AG Bill Barr will ‘try to interfere’ in the 2020 election to re-elect Trump: MSNBC national affairs analyst

Published

on

Attorney General William Barr will use the Department of Justice to "try to interfere" in the 2020 presidential election to re-elect Donald Trump, MSNBC's national affairs analyst predicted on Tuesday.

John Heilemann was interviewed by Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC's "The Last Word."

"The attorney general, from the moment he walked into this job, has behaved in a -- as a ruthless, relentless political hack and a thug and who has behaved not as attorney general of the United States," Heilemann said.

"He made a travesty of the Mueller report and continues to lie on Donald Trump's behalf at every opportunity," he added.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump welcomed Russia’s Sergey Lavrov to the White House — to humiliate us all

Published

on

Despite the fact that President Donald Trump still refuses to have Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to Washington for an officials meeting — a topic at the center of the scandal driving Trump’s impeachment — the White House hosted Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday.

And while Lavrov was honored with his second private Oval Office meeting (the first one was a cataclysmic disaster) and a press conference with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the foreign minister took his opportunity here to repeatedly humiliate the United States.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

United States, Mexico, Canada finalize Donald Trump’s USMCA trade deal

Published

on

The United States, Mexico and Canada signed a deal Tuesday to finalize their new trade agreement, paving the way to ratification after more than two years of arduous negotiations.

However, the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump in the US Senate would likely delay Congressional ratification of the agreement until next year, said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

In reality, it is the second time the three countries have triumphantly announced the conclusion of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the deal meant to replace the 25-year-old NAFTA, which President Donald Trump complains has been "a disaster" for the US.

Continue Reading