Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) shared his prediction over a House-led effort to block President Trump’s border wall national emergency declaration, saying it will be “deader than dead” after Trump rejects the bill.
“IT’LL PASS THE HOUSE, WITH A HANDFUL OF REPUBLICAN VOTES,” SAID GRAHAM “IT’LL COME TO THE SENATE, IT MIGHT GET 51 [VOTES]. IT’LL GET VETOED BY THE PRESIDENT, AND REPUBLICANS WILL STAND WITH THE PRESIDENT TO SUSTAIN HIS VETO, AND IT WILL BE DEADER THAN DEAD.”
Graham feels that republicans may break ranks over fears that allowing the emergency declaration to go forward will lead to potential future democratic administrations using similar declarations, and are unwilling to cede that much power to the administrative branch. Graham, however, doesn’t see that as a real issue.
The president has already said that he will reject such a resolution.
“Will I veto? One-hundred percent,” and I don’t think it survives a veto,” said Trump in the Oval Office.
President Trump declared a national emergency even after signing the spending bill that reopened the government after a disastrous 37-day government shutdown. That bill allowed for $1.375 billion for border security, far less than the $5.5 billion he was aiming for to just start his southern border wall.
Trump has claimed that such a wall is necessary since his election campaign, famously claiming initially that Mexico would pat for construction. He has since decided to look for his funding domestically. His national emergency declaration would hit funds already earmarked for U.S. Military construction projects.
Polls have shown that support for President Trump’s national emergency declaration remains low, with an NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist poll showing a 61-36 split against the declaration. Pulls from Morning Consult/Politico poll and HuffPost/YouGov has shown a similar lack of overall support.
View the exchange below.
‘Outrageous and criminal behavior’: Internet blows up at graphic video of Buffalo Police pushing over an elderly man
On Thursday, footage emerged of police in Buffalo, New York pushing an elderly man to the ground, and refusing to help him as he lay bleeding profusely from a head injury.
The footage triggered immediate outrage on social media.
Horrible. I pray he’s ok. https://t.co/wL2gcNeAIT
— Joe Walsh (@WalshFreedom) June 5, 2020
WATCH: Protester bled from his ear after being shoved by police — cops say he ‘tripped’
SHocking video from Buffalo, New York was posted online on Thursday after a large group of police confronted a lone protester -- and then violently shoved him.
"Shortly after Buffalo’s curfew started, city police and State Police swept through the area of Niagara Square directly in front of City Hall to clear the area where a protest was finishing. An unidentified, older man was hit shoved by two officers in the line. The man lost his balance and fell to the pavement, audibly hitting his head with blood running out from under his head," WBFO-TV reports.
Trump aides are compiling candidates to replace Mark Esper if Trump decides to fire him: report
On Thursday, Politico reported that although Defense Secretary Mark Esper's job appears safe for now, aides to President Donald Trump are compiling a list of potential nominees to replace him if the president changes his mind and decides to fire him.
"An administration official and two people close to the White House say staffers in recent days have pulled together a list of possible candidates for Defense secretary if Trump does choose to fire Esper," reported Lara Seligman, Daniel Lippman, and Meridith McGraw. "At the top of that list is Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, who was Esper’s No. 2 before taking the Army job last summer, the people said. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), an outspoken Trump ally who has previously been considered for the position, is also in the mix, according to one of the people."