Quantcast
Connect with us

Only Christian and Jewish news outlets were on Pompeo’s secret ‘faith-based media’ call: report

Published

on

Democratic Lawmakers Demand Answers

It appears that reporters from only Christian and Jewish media outlets were invited to participate in Secretary of State Mike Pompeo‘s secretive “faith-based media only” conference call Monday night.

Breaking with regular protocol the State Dept. is refusing to release the list of journalists invited or the names of their media outlets. It is also refusing to release the transcript of the conference call or any other details. A representative from the State Dept. went so far as to refuse to even verify that the now highly controversial call even took place.

ADVERTISEMENT

But one news outlet that was on the call has reported the names of the news outlets that asked questions. They are all Christian and Jewish media. None were from Muslim news outlets or from any other faith. It is possible, although highly unlikely, that news outlets covering the Islamic faith would have been on the call and not asked questions, given the purpose of the call was to discuss “international religious freedom” ahead of Secretary Pompeo’s trip to the Middle East this week.

“While it was not clear which outlets were part of the call, questions were asked by Religion News Service, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, Algemeiner, World Magazine and The Leaven, the newspaper of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas. America Magazine also participated in the call,” Religion News Service reports. Algemeiner covers Jewish news, World Magazine is a Christian evangelical outlet, and America Magazine reports on the Catholic faith.

Religion News Service notes it is not a “faith-based” media outlet, but one that “covers religion, spirituality and ethics.” Apparently the State Dept. was unaware of the distinction. One other secular outlet was invited but the invitation was rescinded and they were told it was because they were not “faith-based.”

Meanwhile, Democrats in Congress are demanding answers from the State Department. The House Foreign Affairs Committee, chaired by Eliot Engel (D-NY), is demanding “more information.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Also expressing concern is the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press:

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED STORIES:

ADVERTISEMENT

MIKE POMPEO TALKS ABOUT THE RAPTURE INSIDE THE CIA

MIKE POMPEO, WHO BELIEVES IN APOCALYPTIC HOLY WAR, HAS JUST BEEN CONFIRMED AS SECRETARY OF STATE

STATE DEPT. DOUBLES DOWN ON SECRECY AS POMPEO’S ‘FAITH-BASED MEDIA ONLY’ CONFERENCE CALL DRAWS CRITICISM

ADVERTISEMENT

STATE DEPT. BARS CREDENTIALED REPORTERS FROM SPECIAL CONFERENCE CALL – ALLOWS ‘FAITH-BASED MEDIA ONLY’: REPORT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Rick Wilson: Bolton’s bombshell has GOP terrified of a long trial that will ‘grind them into dust’

Published

on

Conservative political strategist Rick Wilson has published a new column in The Daily Beast that argues President Donald Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) are "sh*tting bricks" at the prospect of former national security adviser John Bolton testifying.

Specifically, Wilson says that the leaked excerpts from Bolton's upcoming book have put a major political price on Republican senators who vote to acquit the president without even hearing a single witness.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Islamophobia in the US did not start with Trump, but his tweets perpetuate a long history of equating Muslims with terrorism

Published

on

President Donald Trump retweeted a doctored image of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi wearing a hijab and Senator Chuck Schumer wearing a turban on Jan. 13. In the fake photo, both were seen standing in front of an Iranian flag with a caption saying: “The corrupted Dems trying their best to come to the Ayatollah’s rescue.”

Trump was again criticized for promoting anti-Muslim sentiments and for being a social media troll who spreads false information.

Continue Reading
 

CNN

‘Getting the truth is irrelevant!’ Rick Santorum goes down in flames trying to defend Trump on CNN

Published

on

Trump defender Rick Santorum went down in flames during a CNN debate on Wednesday that culminated in him admitting that the truth about President Donald Trump's attempt to extort the Ukrainian government really doesn't matter.

During a feisty debate with Democratic strategist Paul Begala, Santorum said that it would be a waste of time to call witnesses such as former national security adviser John Bolton because it would not change the fact that Trump is getting acquitted by the Republican-majority Senate.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image