First Lady Melania Trump kicked off the week by hosting her first Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs as part of her “Be Best” campaign which she began officially last May. The Working Group was created under President George W. Bush.
The goal of Monday’s meeting appeared to be more PR than action.
“First lady Melania Trump will add another component to her Be Best program by showcasing how multiple government agencies interact with youth and working with the groups to improve youth programs,” CNN reports.
Monday morning the First Lady, flanked by HUD Secretary Ben Carson and Matt Dummermuth, a DOJ official in charge of billions in grants to local law enforcement agencies, opened the meeting.
“Thank you for coming,” she told attendees, saying the mission of Be Best is “to enhance the lives of children everywhere.” She added that the “three pillars” of her Be Best program are, “well-being, online safety, and opioid abuse” – presumably meaning combatting and preventing opioid abuse.
The First Lady’s comments and commitment to improving online safety, and her promises to work to prevent online bullying are in direct contrast to the President’s daily outbursts, and especially what for him was a “lost weekend” of rage-tweeting. While the President does not drink his actions show an apparent addiction to venting his anger via the social media platform.
As many in the media have noted, President Trump posted 50 tweets or retweets over the weekend, attacking a re-run of Saturday Night Live, along with Hillary Clinton, the Democratic Party, CNN, the Mueller investigation, the late Sen. John McCain and his daughter, the United Auto Workers’ union, General Motors and its CEO Mary Barra, and Fox News anchors. He also urged support for Fox News’ Jeanine Pirro, who reportedly was suspended after her Islamophobic remarks, and Tucker Carlson, who has been highly criticized for refusing to apologize for remarks he made supporting statutory rape and underage sex.
As the First Lady’s meeting was underway, President Trump, who has almost nothing on his public schedule today, continued his tweets of blind rage. He again went after GM and the UAW, unleashed attacks on former Vice President Joe Biden and the “The Fake News Media,” while praising his approval rating among the GOP.
Former Fox & Friends co-host Clayton Morris flees the US as he faces two dozen lawsuits
Facing more than two-dozen lawsuits alleging he committed real estate fraud, former "Fox & Friends Weekend" co-host Clayton Morris has reportedly fled the United States, according to the Indianapolis Star.
Morris, who previously resided in a $1.4 million home in New Jersey, moved his family to a coastal resort town in Portugal, the newspaper reported, citing a Facebook post from his wife.
Morris's wife and business partner, former MSNBC anchor Natali Morris, told the IndyStar that she and her husband plan to continue fighting the lawsuits from abroad.
Trump defenders argued his latest tweets weren’t really racist — but he just completely undercut their arguments
If you try to defend President Donald Trump, you will always end up having the rug pulled out from underneath you. It's a law of nature.
And yet, so many of the president's allies have failed to learn this simple lesson. So when Trump launched a new attack at progressive Democratic lawmakers that was one of his most obviously racist smears, inevitably, some of his defenders tried to deny the obvious truth.
His screed attacked a group of women who have come to define the left wing of the Democratic caucus, which includes Reps. Ilhan Omar (MN), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY), Rashida Talib (MI), and Ayanna Pressley (MA). Though only Omar is an immigrant (she was a refugee from Somalia as a child), Trump seemed to assume all four women of color weren't born in the United States, and most egregiously, he suggested they should "go back" to other countries:
UK prime minister hopefuls slam Trump tweets — but refuse to call them racist
The two candidates vying to become Britain's next prime minister both condemned on Monday US President Donald Trump's xenophobic tweets about progressive Democrat congresswomen as "totally offensive" and "totally unacceptable".
But front-runner Boris Johnson and Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt refused to call the tweets racist when pressed to do so during their last debate before next week's announcement of who will succeed Prime Minister Theresa May.
May's spokesman had earlier said that the outgoing leader's view was that Trump's comments were "completely unacceptable".
On Monday Trump doubled down on a series of his tweets from the day before urging the four congresswomen of colour to "go back" to the countries they came from.