Quantcast
Connect with us

Israelis among wounded in US synagogue attack

Published

on

Two Israelis were among the Jews wounded in the weekend attack on a synagogue in California that killed one person and injured three others, an official said Sunday.

An Israeli foreign ministry spokesman said an eight-year-old girl and her 31-year-old uncle wounded in the shooting attack in Poway, north of San Diego, on Saturday were from a southern town bordering the Gaza Strip.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The two moved from Sderot to San Diego a few years ago,” spokesman Emmanuel Nahshon said in a statement, noting their condition was “good.”

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said both were wounded by shrapnel in the attack on the final day of the week-long Jewish holiday of Passover.

A 60-year-old woman was killed in the attack, with the community’s rabbi wounded as well.

Israeli Diaspora Minister Naftali Bennett called the slain woman, Lori Gilbert Kaye, “a Jewish hero” who threw herself “in the path of the murderer’s bullets to save the life of the rabbi.”

Gore identified the suspect, who was arrested after fleeing the scene, as 19-year-old John Earnest and said he had no prior arrest record.

ADVERTISEMENT

US President Donald Trump denounced the shooting as a “hate crime”.

Israeli President Reuven Rivlin called the attack “yet another painful reminder that anti-Semitism and hatred of Jews is still with us, everywhere.”

“No country and no society are immune,” he said in a Sunday statement. “Only through education for Holocaust remembrance and tolerance can we deal with this plague.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The shooting in Poway’s Chabad synagogue came exactly six months after a white supremacist killed 11 people at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue — the deadliest attack on the Jewish community in US history.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

CNN

Kellyanne Conway denies Trump asked Ukraine to investigate Biden right after clip shows Trump asking for Biden probe

Published

on

Kellyanne Conway delivered an Orwellian performance during an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Thursday in which she denied that President Donald Trump had said something that a video had shown he said mere seconds before.

During a contentious interview, Blitzer rolled a video of Trump from last month in which he came right out and said that Ukraine should launch an investigation into former Vice President Joe Biden, who is one of the president's top prospective rivals in the 2020 election.

"If they were honest about it, they would start a major investigation into the Bidens," Trump told reporters when asked what he wanted to see from Ukraine. "It's a very simple answer -- they should investigate the Bidens!"

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Democrats believe they left GOP reeling after first day of impeachment hearings: They ‘were grasping at straws’

Published

on

According to a report at Politico, Democratic leaders believe the first day of Donald Trump impeachment hearings went very well and that the Republican Party is already back on its heels after some devastating testimony from two diplomats with knowledge about Donald Trump's dealings with Ukraine.

As the report notes, "House Democrats’ attempts to present a damning case of alleged abuses by President Donald Trump finally went their way."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

NBC News torched for complaint that impeachment hearings lacked ‘pizzazz’: ‘Were they expecting a wardrobe malfunction?’

Published

on

During the first day of public impeachment hearings, diplomats William Taylor and George Kent painted a chilling picture for the American people of how Ukraine was dependent on U.S. military aid to protect its citizens from Russia, and the evidence that led them to worry President Donald Trump was suspending that aid to extort them into helping him smear a domestic political rival.

But according to NBC News, the problem with the hearing was that it didn't have enough "pizzazz" for the American people to follow it:

Analysis: The first two witnesses called Wednesday testified to President Trump's scheme, but lacked the pizzazz necessary to capture public attention. https://t.co/1UfkaeZ3I4

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image