Quantcast
Connect with us

French doctor charged in 24 poisoning cases

Published

on

A French doctor already under investigation for poisoning seven patients has been charged with poisoning 17 more people at a clinic in eastern France, one of his lawyers said on Thursday.

Frederic Pechier, 47, now stands charged in 24 cases, nine of which resulted in death, after working as an anaesthesiologist at two private clinics in the eastern French city of Besancon, where seven patients, aged 37 to 53, went into cardiac arrest from 2008 to 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT

If convicted, Pechier could face a life sentence.

A source close to the investigation said he would go before a judge later Thursday to determine whether he should be held in custody, as demanded by prosecutors.

Pechier’s lawyer Jean-Yves Le Borgne said the investigation had proved nothing.

“There is a possibility that Dr. Pechier was the author of these poisonings but this hypothesis is nothing but a hypothesis and this long inquiry over two years has shown nothing … to the extent that in this instance, the presumption of innocence must be stressed,” Le Borgne said.

Pechier he was brought in for questioning earlier this week over 66 more suspicious cases of cardiac arrest during operations on patients otherwise considered at low risk of such incidents.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Seventeen cases have been retained” involving patients aged 4 to 80, of whom seven died after doctors were unable to revive them, local prosecutor Etienne Manteaux told a press conference.

Pechier was “the common denominator” in the new cases, which occurred at a time when he was in open conflict with fellow anaesthesiologists at the Saint-Vincent clinic in Besancon, Manteaux said.

“He was most often found close to the operating bloc” when the cases occurred, and made quick diagnoses of the problem and the action to take, “even when nothing allowed anyone to suspect an overdose of potassium or local anesthesia,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prosecutors have alleged he may have tampered with his colleagues’ anaesthesia pouches to create operating room emergencies where he could then intervene to show off his supposed talents.

Pechier’s lawyers have denied the claims and in November they accused police of altering declarations he made during his initial questioning.

ADVERTISEMENT

During questioning this week, Manteaux said Pechier acknowledged that criminal acts had taken place at Saint-Vincent but that “he was not responsible for these poisonings.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Internet blown away by Trump’s multi-tweet attack frenzy lashing out at Dems and GOP alike: ‘You are absolutely terrified’

Published

on

After spending the past two days mostly tweeting out videos that are complimentary to him, Donald Trump unleashed a flood of Twitter bile at Democrats, Republicans, a New York Times columnist and Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace late Sunday afternoon.

After attacking Wallace, the president also went after an aide to Vice President Mike Pence -- calling her a "Never Trumper" -- then again demanded to know who the whistleblower, whose report initiated the current impeachment hearings, is.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Never Trumper’: President unleashes on Pence aide after she testifies about ‘inappropriate’ Ukraine pressure

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Sunday lashed out at an adviser to Vice President Mike Pence after she testified that the president put "inappropriate" pressure on Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden.

"Tell Jennifer Williams, whoever that is, to read BOTH transcripts of the presidential calls," Trump ranted on Twitter. "[S]ee the just released ststement from Ukraine. Then she should meet with the other Never Trumpers, who I don’t know & mostly never even heard of, & work out a better presidential attack!"

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump melts down on ‘nasty and obnoxious’ Chris Wallace over Fox host’s interview with Steve Scalise

Published

on

President Donald Trump blew a gasket on Sunday afternoon after seeing -- or possibly just hearing about -- a contentious interview conducted by Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace with Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA).

Taking to Twitter, Trump denounced the longtime Fox host as "nasty and obnoxious."

"@SteveScalise blew the nasty & obnoxious Chris Wallace (will never be his father, Mike!) away on Chris’s lowest rated (unless I’m on) morning show. This kind of dumb and unfair interview would never have happened in the @FoxNews past. Great job Steve!" Trump tweeted.

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1 and go ad-free.
close-image