Quantcast
Connect with us

Hollywood mourns ‘Carol Burnett Show’ actor Tim Conway

Published

on

Emmy Award-winning US actor and comedian Tim Conway, known for his deadpan delivery and cast of bumbling characters on “The Carol Burnett Show,” died on Tuesday at the age of 85, his publicist said.

The versatile entertainer, who underwent brain surgery last September, had been suffering from a long-term illness in Los Angeles, Howard Bragman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

A native of Willoughby, Ohio, Conway served in the army for two years before embarking on his showbiz career as a television presenter and writer. He then starred on the 1960s ABC series “The Steve Allen Show” and “McHale’s Navy.”

He was a fixture throughout the 1970s on “Carol Burnett,” where he made his mark with memorable characters like the Oldest Man and Mr. Tudball — as well as demonstrating a gift for ad-libbing and on-set pranks.

He won four Emmys and a Golden Globe Award during 11 years on the show — capping his career with another two Emmy statuettes for guest appearances in “Coach” (1996) and “30 Rock” (2008).

He entertained modern audiences as the voice of Barnacle Boy in the animated series “SpongeBob SquarePants” and, on the big screen, starred as the title character in the “Dorf” comedy movies.

“I was born and then I did ‘The Carol Burnett Show’ for 11 years. What else is there to know?” the self-effacing humorist said on his website — noting his Emmy wins and adding: “Big deal.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Comedian Larry Wilmore led tributes on social media, tweeting, “RIP to Tim Conway who was always always always always funny!”

“Dick Van Dyke Show” actress Rose Marie, who managed Conway and says she discovered his talent, described the actor as “a source of tremendous pride.”

“He was, after all, one of the funniest men on the planet! My heart goes out to his family,” she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Delighting generations is a pretty good legacy for any entertainer,” added sci-fi author John Scalzi, who came to know Conway’s work through “SpongeBob Squarepants.”

Conway is survived by his wife of 35 years, Charlene, a stepdaughter and six biological children from his first marriage, including KFI-AM talk show host Tim Conway Jr.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the final months of his life, Conway was bedridden and unable to speak and under 24-hour care at a rehabilitation facility, according to court papers.

His daughter Kelly Conway had battled her stepmother in court over his care.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Internet slams ‘disgusting’ Donald Trump Jr. after he skates for killing endangered Mongolian sheep

Published

on

According to new reports, Donald Trump Jr. illegally shot and killed an endangered argali sheep on a taxpayer-funded hunting trip in Western Mongolia in August — and the Mongolian government retroactively gave him a permit rather than tread on the toes of the U.S. government.

The report was met with outrage on social media, with commenters blasting Trump Jr.'s bloodthirst for endangered animals and the wealth and privilege that allowed him to kill them with no accountability. Some even compared it to the right-wing outrage about Hunter Biden being given a free position on the board of Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Roman Polanski blames Harvey Weinstein for rape accusation and says media ‘making me a monster’

Published

on

Film director Roman Polanski has spoken out for the first time since another woman accused him of rape, declaring that the media are "trying to make me into a monster".

And in an extraordinary twist he blamed Harvey Weinstein for his woes, in an interview with Paris Match magazine published Wednesday.

He claimed the disgraced Hollywood mogul tried to brand him a "child rapist" to stop him winning an Oscar in 2003 for "The Pianist".

Polanski -- a fugitive from US justice since 1978 after he admitted the statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl -- also dismissed the latest rape allegations against him as "absurd".

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

‘This is a lie’: Lisa Page pummels Trump for telling blatant falsehoods about her at crazed rally

Published

on

Former FBI attorney Lisa Page on Wednesday called out President Donald Trump for once again lying about her at one of his political rallies.

On Tuesday night, Trump told supporters in Pennsylvania that Page supposedly had to file a restraining order against former FBI agent Peter Strzok, with whom she'd had a relationship during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Trump hedged his claim by telling his supporters, "That's what I heard, I don't know if it's true."

Page, however, took to Twitter to shred the president for repeating a blatant falsehood.

"This is a lie," she wrote. "Nothing like this ever happened. I wish we had a president who knew how to act like one."

Continue Reading