Christopher Steele, the former British MI6 agent who compiled a dossier that alleged links between Donald Trump and the Russian government will not speak with the prosecutor appointed to investigate the origins of the Russian investigation, Reuters reports.
Citing a source with knowledge of the situation, Steele is reportedly refusing to cooperate with John Durham, who was tapped by Attorney General William Barr to probe the Russian investigation. Last week, Trump gave Barr “broad authority to declassify intelligence materials related to the investigations” and “ordered the heads of U.S. spy and law enforcement agencies to cooperate with Durham,” Reuters reports.
Steele, through his private investigative firm Fusion GPS, authored the dossier, which alleged a conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russian operatives to hand the president the 2016 presidential election.
As Reuters reports:
The source close to Steele’s company said Steele would not cooperate with Durham’s probe but might cooperate with a parallel inquiry by the Justice Department’s Inspector General into how U.S. law enforcement agencies handled pre-election investigations into both Trump and Clinton.
Steele also cooperated with Mueller’s investigative team, voluntarily submitting to two interviews in September 2017. He also gave written testimony to the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee in August 2018, the source said.
WATCH: Protesters celebrate as Chase Bank was set ablaze during Portland protests
Trump alerts ‘active-duty U.S. military police’ for possible deployment to Minnesota: report
President Donald Trump's administration is contemplating using active-duty U.S. troops in an attempt to quell the protests in Minneapolis, the Associated Press reported early Saturday morning.
As unrest spread across dozens of American cities on Friday, the Pentagon took the rare step of ordering the Army to put several active-duty U.S. military police units on the ready to deploy to Minneapolis, where the police killing of George Floyd sparked the widespread protests," the AP reported.
"Soldiers from Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Fort Drum in New York have been ordered to be ready to deploy within four hours if called, according to three people with direct knowledge of the orders. Soldiers in Fort Carson, in Colorado, and Fort Riley in Kansas have been told to be ready within 24 hours. The people did not want their names used because they were not authorized to discuss the preparations," the AP explained.
John Roberts joins liberals as Supreme Court rejects challenge to Newsom’s COVID-19 limits on California church attendance
In a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court on Friday rejected an emergency appeal from the South Bay United Pentecostal Church in Chula Vista, California. The San Diego area church tried to challenge the state's limits on attendance at worship services:
The church argued that limits on how many people can attend their services violate constitutional guarantees of religious freedom and had been seeking an order in time for services on Sunday. The church said it has crowds of 200 to 300 people for its services.