Japanese fishermen set sail on Monday to hunt whales commercially for the first time in more than three decades after Tokyo’s controversial withdrawal from the International Whaling Commission (IWC) triggered outrage from environmental groups.
The planned hunts, while small and far from internationally protected waters, have also sparked anger in countries where whaling is considered outdated and harmful.
But in Japan, whaling communities hailed the return of the practice, with Tokyo defending it as a tradition that should not be subject to outside interference.
For years, the issue of whaling was a diplomatic headache for Japan, which came under attack for exploiting an IWC loophole to hunt whales for “scientific” purposes.
Critics accused Japan of effectively carrying out stealth whaling, saying the hunts had no scientific value, while Tokyo continued to push for permission to resume commercial whaling outright.
But last year it announced it would simply withdraw from the IWC and no longer comply with its decades-old ban on commercial killing of the ocean giants.
The decision comes into effect from July 1, when a flotilla of ships that once carried out whaling for “scientific research” will set sail from the Shimonoseki port in western Japan.
Elsewhere, five small whaling boats from across the country will gather in Kushiro port in northern Japan and start hunting minkes for about a week in a symbolic event celebrating the resumption of the practice.
– ‘Heart full of hope’ –
“We are very excited at the resumption of commercial whaling,” Yoshifumi Kai, head of the Japan Small-Type Whaling Association, told AFP ahead of the departure.
“My heart is full of hope,” added Kai, who belongs to a fisheries cooperative in Taiji in Wakayama prefecture, an area known for both whale and dolphin hunting.
Japan’s decision in December to withdraw from the IWC sparked a firestorm of criticism from environmentalists and anti-whaling countries such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
It came after years of failed attempts by Tokyo to convince the IWC to allow it to resume commercial whaling, arguing that stocks of certain species were now sufficient to support renewed hunting.
The decision means Japan will end its most provocative expeditions, in protected Antarctic waters, and instead concentrate on commercial whaling of minke and other whales off its shores.
Japan has hunted whales for centuries and the meat was a key source of protein in the immediate post-World War II years when the country was desperately poor.
But consumption has declined significantly in recent decades, with much of the population saying they rarely or never eat whale meat, and activists have pressed Japan to ditch the practice.
– ‘Path towards extinction’ –
Animal conservation groups from across the world sent a letter to the Group of 20 leaders meeting in the Japanese city of Osaka over the weekend urging them to call for an “immediate end to all commercial whaling.”
“Japan leaving the IWC and defying international law to pursue its commercial whaling ambitions is renegade, retrograde and myopic,” said Kitty Block, president of Humane Society International based in the UK.
Tokyo is “undermining its reputation for an industry whose days are so clearly numbered, to produce a product for which demand has plummeted”, she said.
But some conservationists and experts say Japan’s whaling industry is already on its last legs for economic reasons, with consumption shrinking steadily and no sign of a market recovery.
“What we are seeing is the beginning of the end of Japanese whaling,” said Patrick Ramage, director of marine conservation at the International Fund for Animal Welfare.
“Japan is quitting high-seas whaling… not yet a full stop, but that is a huge step towards the end of killing whales for their meat and other products,” he said, adding he does not believe coastal whaling will survive given dwindling subsidies and consumer demand.
Masayuki Komatsu, a former top Japanese negotiator at the IWC between 1991 and 2004, said Tokyo should return to the organisation or risk seeing whaling die out altogether.
Compared to research whaling programmes in the Antarctic and the Northern Pacific, “the size of coastal whaling is tiny,” he told AFP.
“The withdrawal from the IWC means the Japanese whaling industry is on the path towards extinction.”
Anthony Scaramucci says Trump cabinet officials are preparing to turn on the president
Former Trump administration official Anthony Scaramucci predicts that some current cabinet officials are ready to jump ship and denounce President Donald Trump.
Scaramucci, who has recently abandoned his support for the president, told CNN's Alisyn Camerota that some current administration officials will soon turn on Trump and work against his 2020 re-election.
"It's a little bit like a cycle," Scaramucci said. "I mean, if you can get the cycle started, some people that are fear-based due to the president's bullying or the nonsense on his Twitter feed or how he handles himself personally, they're intimidated by him."
More evacuations as Canary Islands fire out of control
A wildfire raged out of control on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria Monday, forcing more evacuations as flames in some parts rose so high even water-dropping planes were unable to operate, authorities said.
The fire, the third in 10 days in the mountainous centre of the holiday island popular for its breathtaking views, has forced the evacuation of several villages, which according to the census have a combined population of 8,000, a spokeswoman for emergency services said.
The exact number of evacuees was unclear. No fatalities have been reported.
So fierce is the fire in what is part of a UNESCO biosphere reserve that in some areas, it "is beyond our extinction capacities," Federico Grillo, head of emergency services in Gran Canaria, said late Sunday.
Britain’s Prince Andrew ‘appalled’ by Epstein abuse claim
Britain's Prince Andrew has said he was "appalled" by allegations of sexual abuse surrounding Jeffrey Epstein after a video was released purporting to show him at the home of the convicted paedophile in 2010.
"The Duke of York has been appalled by the recent reports of Jeffrey Epstein's alleged crimes," Buckingham Palace said in a statement, the Press Association reported on Sunday.
"His Royal Highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behaviour is abhorrent," the statement said.