Hong Kong protest leaders announced plans for another mass rally on Sunday, escalating their campaign against a China extradition bill a day after police cleared them from the streets using volleys of tear gas and rubber bullets.
The move sets up a fresh confrontation with the city’s government which has refused to withdraw the proposed law and has the staunch backing of Beijing, which described the protests as “riots”.
The international finance hub was rocked by the worst political violence since its 1997 handover to China on Wednesday as tens of thousands of protesters who had swarmed the city’s parliament were dispersed in chaotic scenes.
Sporadic demonstrations broke out again on Thursday, with occasional scuffles with police, but crowds were much smaller and there was no repeat of the running battles of the day before.
The government attempted to lower the temperature by indefinitely postponing a parliamentary debate on the bill which had been scheduled for Wednesday and triggered the scenes at parliament.
But demonstrators have vowed no let up in their campaign, calling for a rally on Sunday and a city-wide strike on Monday.
“(We) will fight until the end with Hong Kong people,” said Jimmy Sham from the Civil Human Rights Front, the main protest group, adding that they had applied for permission to hold the weekend rally.
“When facing ignorance, contempt and suppression, we will only be stronger, there will only be more Hong Kong people,” he told reporters.
The CHRF organised a huge rally against the bill on Sunday which they said drew more than a million people.
It has little control over groups of largely leaderless, young crowds of more hardline demonstrators at the vanguard of confrontations with police.
– ‘Excessive force’ –
The police response has drawn criticism from a range of influential bodies including lawmakers, journalists and legal groups, with calls for an independent inquiry into “excessive force” from a top legal body that helps elect the city’s leader.
The Hong Kong Bar Association also said the police “may well have overstepped its lawful powers” with “wholly unnecessary force against largely unarmed protesters who did not appear to pose any immediate threat to the police or the public”.
But Beijing said it fully supported the city authorities’ handling of the protests.
“What happened in the Admiralty area was not a peaceful rally, but a riot organised by a group,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters, referencing the district where the worst violence took place.
“We support the Hong Kong government’s dealing of the situation in accordance with the law.”
– Extradition fears –
The extradition bill has united an unusually wide cross section of Hong Kong against the proposal — from lawyers and influential business groups to students and activists and religious leaders.
The plans were put forward by the city’s pro-Beijing leader Carrie Lam, who has seen her approval ratings take a nosedive.
The government says it is necessary to fix a loophole that prevents Hong Kong from sending criminal suspects back to jurisdictions they have fled — including to mainland China.
Lam has shown no signs of backing down, even after the massive peaceful rally on Sunday. Instead she has vowed to press ahead with the law change and called the protests “organised riots”.
But opponents say the legislation would be abused by an increasingly assertive Beijing to pursue its political enemies and to ensnare dissidents in an opaque and politically motivated justice system.
The international community has also voiced concern.
The European Union called for the “fundamental right” of Hong Kongers to assemble and express themselves to be respected as it became the latest grouping to add its voice to a growing chorus of criticism of the bill.
The EU “shares many of the concerns raised by citizens of Hong Kong”, it said, drawing an angry response from China which dismissed the comments as “irresponsible and erroneous”.
The bloc said the proposed law had “potentially far-reaching consequences for Hong Kong and its people, for EU and foreign citizens, as well as for business confidence in Hong Kong”.
British Prime Minister Theresa May said it was vital the proposed law did not breach the Sino-British Joint Declaration signed in 1984 setting out the terms of the city’s return to China.
Speaking in parliament, she said her government was concerned about the “potential effects of these proposals particularly, obviously given the large number of British citizens there are in Hong Kong”.
US President Donald Trump told reporters in Washington he could “understand the reason for the demonstration” and said he hoped “it all works out for China and for Hong Kong”.
Sondland says Ukrainians knew there was a quid pro quo for military aid — because he told them
E.U. Ambassador Gordon Sondland's opening statement contains a blizzard of damning allegations about President Donald Trump and his immediate officials' conduct surrounding the withholding of foreign aid to Ukraine.
In particular, Sondland's statement directly contradicts a major talking point used by Republicans to defend the president: That there couldn't have been a quid pro quo to force the Ukrainians to dig up dirt on former Vice President Joe Biden, because the Ukrainians did not know the delay in military aid was linked to opening investigations.
Trump’s new anti-impeachment crusader mangles basic facts about Sondland in her first big TV interview
Pam Bondi, the former Florida attorney general who recently joined the White House as a communications staffer, repeatedly misrepresented EU ambassador Gordon Sondland's role in the State Department.
The Florida Republican appeared Wednesday on CBS This Morning ahead of Sondland's highly anticipated public testimony in the impeachment inquiry, and she was asked how well President Donald Trump knew the campaign donor-turned-ambassador.
"He was ambassador to the Ukraine, he is ambassador to the Ukraine, and the president knows him," said Bondi, who recently joined the White House to help manage communications strategy against impeachment.
‘We followed the president’s orders’: Sondland leaves no wiggle room for Trump’s direct involvement in Ukraine scandal
European Union ambassador Gordon Sondland will leave no wiggle room for President Donald Trump to deny his direct involvement in the Ukraine scandal in his bombshell opening statement.
As reported by the Daily Beast, Sondland will testify that he followed President Donald Trump's orders to work with personal attorney Rudy Giuliani on dealing with Ukraine, despite the fact that he was personally reluctant to do so.
"Secretary Perry, Ambassador Volker and I worked with Mr. Rudy Giuliani on Ukraine matters at the express direction of the President of the United States," the statement says. "We did not want to work with Mr. Giuliani. Simply put, we played the hand we were dealt. We all understood that if we refused to work with Mr. Giuliani, we would lose an important opportunity to cement relations between the United States and Ukraine. So we followed the President’s orders."