Quantcast
Connect with us

US plans Gulf naval escort ops after Iranians menace UK oil tanker

Published

on

The Pentagon said Thursday it was discussing military escorts for vessels in the Gulf one day after armed Iranian boats threatened a British oil tanker.

The White House’s nominee to become chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, said Washington was attempting to put together a coalition “in terms of providing military escort, naval escort to commercial shipping,” he said.

“I think that that will be developing over the next couple weeks,” Milley told the Senate Armed Services Committee.

His statement came after London accused Tehran Thursday of deploying three military vessels to “impede the passage” of a 274-meter (899-foot) BP tanker, the British Heritage.

“We are concerned by this action and continue to urge the Iranian authorities to de-escalate the situation in the region,” a Downing Street spokesman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards denied involvement but also warned both the United States and Britain that they would “strongly regret” the British detention of a fully-loaded Iranian tanker off Gibraltar last week for allegedly violating sanctions on the Islamic Republic.

Officials in Britain and France would not confirm the discussions on a tanker escort operation, which comes amid heightened tensions in the Gulf after Iran was accused of using limpet mines to blow holes in ships in the Gulf area in May and June and US President Donald Trump came close to ordering an attack on Iran in retaliation.

– Britain mulls Gulf presence –

ADVERTISEMENT

GETTY/AFP / MARK WILSON US Army General Mark Milley told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the US is discussing with allies a naval escort operation for oil tankers in the Gulf amid threats from Iran

The US, Britain and France all maintain a naval presence in the Gulf.

But both London and Paris have been reticent to join in Washington’s “maximum pressure” campaign against Iran to force it to pull back on its involvement in conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

British media reported that the possible deployment of more Royal Navy ships to the region was “being looked at” in government meetings on Thursday in the aftermath of the newest incident.

ADVERTISEMENT

But in France, a government official told AFP that they were not planning for the moment to expand their presence in the Gulf.

“France is on a course of deescalation,” the official said.

“Sending additional military assets to the region does not seem useful to us.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier this week, General Joseph Dunford, the top US military officer, said the United States could lead any escort operation and provide surveillance as other countries protected tankers under their own flags.

The move would reprise the 1987-1988 US operation to protect Kuwaiti oil tankers from Iranian attacks during the Iran-Iraq war.

Up to 30 warships were deployed by Washington to the region, and five other governments joined in, including Britain and France.

ADVERTISEMENT

– Retaliation for seized Iranian tanker? –

AFP /Tensions in the Gulf

Iran’s menacing of the BP supertanker on Wednesday appeared to be in retaliation for the British seizure of the Iranian tanker believed carry crude for delivery to Syria.

British defense sources told media that the Revolutionary Guards boats attempted to first stop and then divert the supertanker towards the Iranian shore.

ADVERTISEMENT

The HMS Montrose, a Royal Navy frigate, then trained its guns on the Iranian boats and delivered a “cease and desist” message by radio.

The Revolutionary Guards — a vast and powerful security organization that the United States blamed for the limpet mine attacks — denied threatening the British tanker.

“There has been no confrontation in the last 24 hours with any foreign vessels,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

But, in a move that could add to the tensions, Gibraltar police announced the arrest on Thursday of both the Indian captain and officer of the seized tanker.

– Salvaging nuclear deal –

IRANIAN PRESIDENCY/AFP/File / HO Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has warned Britain of ‘consequences’ over the detention of an Iranian oil tanker off the coast of Gibraltar

The rapid chain of events further complicates Britain and other European allies’ efforts to salvage the 2015 JCPOA nuclear agreement with Iran from which Washington pulled out more than a year ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

With the US pressuring European allies to fall in line and enforce a strict embargo on Iran, Britain and other European nations have been trying to preserve the deal by setting up their own independent trade mechanism that evades US sanctions on Tehran.

In recent weeks, Tehran has increased uranium enrichment in response, consciously breaking its own obligations under the JCPOA pact in hopes that it can counter Washington’s moves.

But that is putting the European strategy under strain.

ADVERTISEMENT

European parties to the agreement issued a tough joint statement on Tuesday saying Iran must return to full compliance “without delay”.

Fellow deal sponsors Russia and China lay the blame for the confrontation on the United States.

“This is Washington’s deliberate, premeditated course to exacerbate tensions,” Russia’s Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected]. Send news tips to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

OAN’s Kremlin journalist proves the ‘merger between Russian state-sponsored propaganda and American conservative media’ is complete: Former FBI special agent

Published

on

Its headlines look like they're written to please an audience of one.

"Political Strategist: President Trump’s reelection looks good in state-by-state analysis of chances."

"Pres. Trump touts strong approval rating as economy remains solid."

"GOP businesswoman Scherie Murray announces campaign for AOC’s seat."

It's been called an "obscure" pay-cable TV station, but One America News Network, which at time feels more like Fox News than Fox News, is President Donald Trump's new favorite news channel. It worked hard to get there, and as a 2017 Washington Post article noted its "taking ‘pro-Trump’ to new heights."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Mike Pence to headline ‘intimate’ $35,000 per couple fundraiser at gay-owned private club

Published

on

Location reportedly revealed by chef during hearing on felony assault and domestic violence charges

Vice President Mike Pence will headline a $35,000-per-couple fundraiser at a private club owned by two gay men in Aspen, Colorado Monday evening.

The invitation, sent by Bob Jenkins, vice chair of Pitkin County Republicans, calls it "an intimate high dollar reception," and says, "we would like you to participate if possible. Additionally, please quietly spread the word," according to The Aspen Times.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Man who believed ‘the Bible is for white people’ gets life in prison after setting black man on fire in gruesome murder

Published

on

A white man from Tennessee has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of murdering a black man by setting him on fire while he slept.

The Daily News Journal reports that 53-year-old John Carothers has pleaded guilty to murdering Robert Miller, a housemate who lived with him at the Frazier Young Supportive Living, which is a home for people with intellectual disabilities.

According to prosecutors, Carothers in March 2018 doused Miller in lighter fluid while he was asleep in his bed and then lit him on fire. Miller would subsquently die from burn-related injuries at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville.

Continue Reading
 
 
 

Copyright © 2019 Raw Story Media, Inc. PO Box 21050, Washington, D.C. 20009 | Masthead | Privacy Policy | For corrections or concerns, please email [email protected]

Join Me. Try Raw Story Investigates for $1. Invest in Journalism. Escape Ads.
close-image