Quantcast
Connect with us

Anger at Netanyahu’s West Bank annexation pledge

Published

on

Arab and Muslim countries Wednesday led a wave of outcry after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to annex a key part of the occupied West Bank if re-elected.

Netanyahu’s controversial pledge involves extending Israel’s sovereignty over the Jordan Valley and the northern Dead Sea which account for one-third of the West Bank if he wins next week’s elections. It would not include however annexing any Palestinian cities such as Jericho.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pre-election promise late Tuesday drew immediate condemnation from Arab powerhouses with many warning of disastrous consequences for the stagnant Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

“The announcement constitutes a dangerous development and a new Israeli aggression,” Arab foreign ministers said.

They also warned in a statement of “the ramifications of these dangerous, illegal and irresponsible” moves saying it would “undermine the chances of progress in the peace process”.

Jordanian and Palestinian officials said any such measure risks “killing off” and “destroying” the entire peace process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan’s house speaker Atef al-Tarawneh went as far as to warn on Wednesday that any such move could even put Israel’s peace treaty with the country — only one of two with Arab states — at stake.

AFP /Israel and the West Bank

Damascus “strongly condemned” Netanyahu’s vow, with a Syrian foreign ministry source telling the state news agency SANA that it was an “expansionist” plan in “flagrant violation” of international treaties.

The Syrian regime’s main backer Russia warned that the plan could lead to a “sharp escalation of tensions in the region (and) undermine hopes for the establishment of long-awaited peace between Israel and its Arab neighbours”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Israel occupied the West Bank in the 1967 Six-Day War in a move never recognised by the international community.

It also seized — and later annexed — part of the Golan Heights from Syria, and the two countries remain technically at war.

– ‘Racist’ move –

ADVERTISEMENT

Saudi Arabia flagged the announcement as a “dangerous escalation”, and convened an “emergency meeting” of the foreign ministers of the 57 member states of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Jeddah on Sunday to discuss the issue.

United Arab Emirates’ foreign minister Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan denounced Netanyahu’s proposal as “electoral exploitation in the most heinous form”.

The Gulf Cooperation Council’s chief Abdellatif al-Zayani characterised the Israeli prime minister’s rhetoric as a “dangerous and aggressive provocation”.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement, which earlier this month exchanged cross-border fire with the Israel army, blamed the Gulf Arab states for emboldening Netanyahu to take stronger steps against the Palestinians.

“Measures toward normalisation and Gulf attempts to foster alliances with the enemy have created an opportunity to chip away at more Arab lands,” the group said in a statement.

Turkey slammed Netanyahu’s pledge as “racist” and vowed to “defend (the) rights and interests of our Palestinian brothers and sisters till the end”.

The United Nations said Netanyahu’s plan would have no “international legal effect”, and the European Union said it undermined any prospects for peace.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The policy of settlement construction and expansion… is illegal under international law and its continuation, and actions taken in this context, undermine the viability of the two-state solution and the prospects for a lasting peace,” an EU statement said.

– US support –

When announcing his pledge, Netanyahu said he would take the step in coordination with his ally, US President Donald Trump.

Israel has enjoyed a strong US support under the Trump administration which in a highly controversial move overturned decades of US policy to recognise the holy city of Jerusalem as the capital of the Jewish state in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT

AFP / Jalaa MAREY  Israeli soldiers sit in the back of a self-propelled artillery gun on the border with Syria in the Israeli-annexed Golan, after US President Donald Trump declared Israeli sovereignty over the area seized by Israel in 1967

Earlier this year, Trump declared Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, which Israel seized Syria in the 1967 Six-Day War, along with the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

More than 600,000 Israeli Jewish settlers now live in the West Bank and annexed east Jerusalem, among three million Palestinians.

Arab and Muslim leaders have unanimously decried the US moves backing Netanyahu’s policies, insisting instead on achieving a two-state solution with east Jerusalem as its capital.

Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner has been tasked with hammering out a peace plan to resolve the bitter conflict.

The plan’s economic aspects were unveiled at a Bahrain conference in June, floating the prospect of pumping some $50 billion worth of investment into a stagnant Palestinian economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

It failed however to address key Palestinian demands and it remains unclear when Kushner’s full plan will be rolled out.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Facebook

General Motors auto workers call strike in US

Published

on

The United Auto Workers union called a nationwide strike against General Motors Sunday, with some 46,000 members set to walk off the job beginning at midnight amid an impasse in contract talks.

The decision, which the Wall Street Journal described as the first major stoppage at GM in more than a decade, came a day after the manufacturer's four-year contract with workers expired without an agreement on a replacement.

Local union leaders met in Detroit "and opted to strike at midnight on Sunday," the UAW said on its Twitter account.

"This is our last resort," Terry Dittes, the union's lead negotiator with GM, told a news conference after the meeting. "We are standing up for the fundamental rights of working people in this country."

Continue Reading

Facebook

Saudi Arabia races to restore oil supply — drone strike blamed on Iran

Published

on

Saudi Arabia raced on Sunday to restart operations at oil plants hit by drone attacks which slashed its production by half, as Iran dismissed US claims it was behind the assault.

The Tehran-backed Huthi rebels in neighbouring Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition is bogged down in a five-year war, claimed Saturday's strikes on two plants owned by state energy giant Aramco.

But US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pointed the finger squarely at Tehran, saying there was no evidence the "unprecedented attack on the world's energy supply" was launched from Yemen.

"The United States will work with our partners and allies to ensure that energy markets remain well supplied and Iran is held accountable for its aggression," the top US diplomat added.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Trump flip-flops on meeting with Iran with ‘no preconditions’– then blames it on the media

Published

on

President Donald Trump went off on the "fake news media" yet again, after his own appointees announced he was willing to meet with Iran.

"The Fake News is saying that I am willing to meet with Iran, 'No Conditions.' That is an incorrect statement (as usual!)," Trump tweeted.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1173371482812162048

In an odd twist, Trump announced just three months ago he'd be willing to meet with no preconditions.

“Not as far as I’m concerned – no preconditions,” the president said in a Meet the Press interview. At another point in the interview, he also said: “I think they want to make a deal. And my deal is nuclear.”

Continue Reading
 
 
Help Raw Story Uncover Injustice. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image