Quantcast
Connect with us

North Korea says willing to hold talks with US in September

Published

on

Nuclear-armed North Korea said Monday it is willing to hold working-level talks with the United States in late September, after no progress for months in their denuclearisation dialogue.

Negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington have been gridlocked since a second summit between the North’s leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump in February ended without a deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

The pair agreed to restart working-level dialogue during an impromptu meeting at the Demilitarised Zone dividing North and South Korea in June, but those talks have yet to begin.

“We are willing to sit face-to-face with the US around late September at a time and place that we can agree on,” Choe Son Hui, the North’s vice foreign minister, said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

Choe’s comment followed his warning in late August that the North’s “expectations of dialogue with the US are gradually disappearing”, after Pyongyang conducted a series of weapons tests to protest joint US-South Korean military exercises.

On Monday Choe recalled Kim’s comments that the North would wait until the end of the year for Washington to “quit its current calculation method”.

Choe repeated Pyongyang’s call for the US to come up with an “acceptable calculation” or risk jeopardising the entire diplomatic process.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I think the US has since had enough time to find the calculation method that it can share with us,” he said.

Kim and Trump adopted a vaguely-worded statement on the “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” at their first summit in Singapore in June last year but little progress has since been made on dismantling the North’s nuclear programme.

A report published by a United Nations panel of experts last week said the North’s development of nuclear warheads has not stopped, despite a moratorium it declared on nuclear blasts and long-range missile launches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last year it also said its Punggye-ri atomic bomb test site would be dismantled as it was no longer needed.

With its recent weapons tests, North Korea has demonstrated it can “master key components of ballistic missile systems, including solid-rocket fuel production… and the capacity to penetrate ballistic missile defence systems”, the UN report said, citing an opinion of a member state.

ADVERTISEMENT

US officials have called these missile launches provocations, although Trump himself has avoided criticizing them.

North Korea is under heavy US and UN sanctions over its nuclear programme.

On Friday the US special envoy to North Korea, Stephen Biegun, said Pyongyang must stop blocking nuclear talks.

ADVERTISEMENT

“If we are to succeed, North Korea must set aside its search for obstacles to negotiations and instead seek the opportunities for engagement while that opportunity lasts,” he said.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Ex-Republican Clint Eastwood makes call to dump Trump in Wall Street Journal interview

Published

on

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, actor/director Clint Eastwood -- who once ran and won as a Republican for mayor of Carmel, California -- said it is time  for the country to move on from Donald Trump.

Eastwood, who memorably spoke at the 2012 Republican convention made his comments at the end of an interview about his films and the #metoo movement.

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal's Tunku Varadarajan, t89-year-old Hollywood legend recalled meeting Trump years ago and was asked about the current political climate after three years of Trump at the helm.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

GOP appointees considered disloyal to Trump won’t be spared as president’s new hatchet-man begins purge: report

Published

on

According to a report from the New York Times, longtime government employees who landed their jobs because of their Republican bonafides are now coming to work each day with the threat of dismissal hanging over their heads if it is believed they are are not totally on board with Donald Trump policies.

Following a report that Johnny McEntee, a 29-year-old loyalist just installed to take over the Office of Presidential Personnel, is instructing "departments to search for people not devoted to the president so they can be removed," the Times notes that just because a staffer is a Republican in good standing doesn't mean that won't be booted.

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Here is why these Nevadans are betting on Sanders

Published

on

LAS VEGAS — Any doubts that Nevadans wouldn't show up for Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) were quickly squashed by the amount of people lined up to get into his Friday night rally in Las Vegas on the eve of the Nevada caucus: an estimated 2,020, according to his campaign. One would have been forgiven for assuming the crowd spilling out the main entrance and down the street had lined up to get into one of the city's hottest shows, not a "Get Out the Vote" event. Despite stereotypes that Sanders only draws support from the young (and mostly white), the crowd was visibly diverse in age, ethnicity and race. And anyone who didn't arrive already wearing the requisite Bernie gear had plenty of opportunities to buy some as they waited to enter the venue.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image