Quantcast
Connect with us

Britain’s Prince Andrew denies meeting sex accuser

Published

on

Britain’s Prince Andrew has said he does not remember meeting Virginia Roberts, one of disgraced US financier Jeffrey Epstein’s alleged victims, who says she was forced to have sex with the royal.

But Andrew admits in an interview with the BBC due to be broadcast on Saturday that his decision to remain friends with Epstein after he was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008 was a serious error of judgement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I have no recollection of ever meeting this lady, none whatsoever,” Andrew told BBC interviewer Emily Maitlis, according to extracts from “Prince Andrew and the Epstein Scandal” released ahead of the program’s broadcast.

Andrew, the second son of Queen Elizabeth II and eighth in line to the throne, has been heavily criticized over his links to multimillionaire Epstein, who died in custody in the US in August.

A photograph apparently showing Andrew with his arm around then 17-year-old Roberts, now Giuffre, and with Epstein’s friend Ghislaine Maxwell standing in the background, has been widely published. Supporters of Andrew, however, have disputed its authenticity.

Epstein pleaded guilty in 2008 to procuring a girl under the age of 18 for prostitution and served 13 months in US prison before being released on probation.

Pressed in the interview over the fact that he remained friends with Epstein even after his conviction, Andrew, 59, admitted that he regretted that decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I stayed with him and that’s… that’s… that’s the bit that… that… that, as it were, I kick myself for on a daily basis,” the prince said.

“Because it was not something that was becoming of a member of the royal family and we try and uphold the highest standards and practices and I let the side down, simple as that,” he told Maitlis of the BBC’s Newsnight program.

– ‘Sex slave’ claim –

ADVERTISEMENT

Epstein, 66, who was arrested in New York in July on charges of trafficking underage girls for sex, was found dead in his New York jail cell on August 10 while awaiting trial over abuses involving girls at his Palm Beach home and on his private island in the Caribbean.

A coroner ruled that he committed suicide by hanging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Over the years, the financier hobnobbed with politicians, socialites and celebrities, including Donald Trump before he was president, and Bill Clinton.

In August, Giuffre, who says she was abused by Epstein for years and farmed out to his wealthy friends including Andrew, said “the reckoning must not end, it must continue”.

Giuffre has said she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew three times, an allegation he has strongly denied.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He knows exactly what he’s done and I hope he comes clean about it,” she told reporters after a US hearing on August 27 at which other alleged victims of Epstein including also described how they were abused.

Giuffre previously testified that she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew in London when she was 17. She said she had sex with him again in New York and on Epstein’s private island in the Caribbean.

But the allegations were struck from the record by a US judge in 2015, who said the “lurid details” were not needed to decide a civil case concerning Epstein.

She has filed a lawsuit in the US accusing Epstein of using her as a “sex slave”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Buckingham Palace has strenuously denied the claims, calling them “false and without foundation”.

The BBC interview is the first time that Andrew has addressed questions over the Epstein controversy.

In August, Buckingham Palace issued a statement after a video was released purporting to show Andrew at the home of Epstein in 2010.

“His Royal Highness deplores the exploitation of any human being and the suggestion he would condone, participate in or encourage any such behavior is abhorrent,” the statement said.

ADVERTISEMENT


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump’s pardon spree shows he’d pardon himself if he ever needed to: columnist

Published

on

President Donald Trump's pardons already stand out as the most self-serving of any other president, and suggest that he'd try to pardon himself if the need ever arose.

Other presidents have issued controversial pardons, but his pardons of war criminals, corrupt officials and white-collar criminals are "on another level" -- and, like so many of Trump's actions, offer some insight into his own psyche, reported the Washington Post's Aaron Blake.

"Trump’s first pardon was for Joe Arpaio, who might be the most pronounced embodiment of Trump’s hard-line immigration policies in American politics," Blake wrote. "Arpaio’s crimes also involved disobeying a judge’s orders against racial profiling of suspected undocumented immigrants; Trump as a candidate in the months before the pardon advocated racial profiling and for a ban on Muslim immigration and, in one of his first acts as president, banned immigration from several majority-Muslim nations."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump abruptly opens a new front in his vengeance campaign with a fusillade of self-serving pardons

Published

on

I’ll grant you that Donald Trump, as president, has legal and constitutional right to pardon or commute sentences for whomever he wants.

Still, we should be able to understand what the message is that is being delivered.

Are we curtailing the excesses of prosecution? Are we dealing with unfair sentencing? Or is this favored treatment for Friends of Trump?

The cluster of 11 pardons and clemencies made public yesterday – former Democratic Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who tried to sell off a vacant Senate seat for personal profit, financier Michael Milken, who duped and stole from investors, Edward DeBartolo, the former San Francisco football team owner convicted in an extortion attempt, and Bernard Kerik, formerly Rudy Giuliani’s partner who lied to Congress and committed tax fraud – just says financial crimes don’t mean anything if you’re a big-enough wheel.

Continue Reading
 

Facebook

Deaf Argentine abuse survivors target pope with defiant message new messages

Published

on

Three deaf survivors of clerical sexual abuse from Argentina say they want Pope Francis finally to live up to his promises of reform -- and they are taking their call directly to the Vatican this week.

The three told AFP they were "tortured" by their abusers but now felt emboldened after a high-profile trial in their case last year that put two priests behind bars for decades in the pope's homeland.

"In the world there are a lot of countries where these things continue to happen and there's silence," said Daniel Sgardelis, 45, speaking through a sign language interpreter during a visit to the UN in Geneva.

Continue Reading
 
 
close-image