Quantcast
Connect with us

Scottish government decries “devastating” effect post-Brexit border policy will have on economy

Published

on

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon issued a call for a Scottish visa, which overseas workers could use to settle in the country and to bypass the Tories’ proposed “points” immigration system.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon condemned the United Kingdom’s new post-Brexit border policy after it was released Wednesday, saying new rules barring people designated as “unskilled” and those who don’t speak English will devastate a number of Scotland’s industries and worsen the country’s depopulation crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

The newly-unveiled “points system” dictating who can migrate to the U.K. spurred officials to reiterate their calls for a separate Scottish visa system which immigrants could use just for Scotland, which employs many people from overseas in its tourism, fishing, and healthcare industries.

“It is impossible to overstate how devastating this U.K. government policy will be for Scotland’s economy,” tweeted Sturgeon, who also called for a new referendum on Scottish independence after the Conservative government won the general election in December. “Getting power over migration in Scottish Parliament is now a necessity for our future prosperity.”

Under the new U.K. border policy, migrants would be awarded “points,” as they are under Australia’s system, based on their skill level and background. Students and workers who don’t speak English would not be permitted to migrate.

ADVERTISEMENT

No temporary or general visas will be given to people identified as “low-skilled workers,” and people considered “skilled” would need to have a job offer or endorsement from someone in their field.

“U.K. businesses will need to adapt and adjust to the end of free movement,” the British government said of the plan, which officials want to enter into force on January 1, 2021.

The proposal appears intent on damaging the “U.K. manufacturing industry, services, agriculture, and fisheries… [and creating] more economic damage through deliberately causing labor shortages,” tweeted Kirsty Hughes, director of the Scottish Center on European Relations.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

One in five tourism jobs in Scotland are held by people from overseas, according to The Guardian. Migrants hold 16% of healthcare jobs, while more than 70% of those employed at fish processing plants in northeastern Scotland were born outside the country.

Under the new plan, it’s estimated that 70% of the current E.U. workforce would not be awarded enough “points” to move to the United Kingdom. But in Scotland, which is projected to have more deaths than births over the next 25 years and whose population growth over the next two decades has been expected to come entirely from migration, industry leaders say people already in the country won’t be able to fill roles that would otherwise go to migrants.

“Locking out some sets of skills from the U.K. will have a devastating impact on many parts of our economy and [is] deeply insulting,” tweeted Hannah Bardell, a member of Parliament in Sturgeon’s Scottish National Party. “The Tories have had 42 months to develop these proposals and they’ve come up with a half-finished, disastrous one size-fits-no-one policy that poses a very real threat to Scotland and leaves businesses and the public with just 10 months to prepare.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Scottish officials say the public widely supports a Scottish visa, which the government explained in a video on social media last month.

Industry groups in Northern Ireland echoed Scotland’s concerns Wednesday, saying the hospitality sector would suffer a “crippling blow” under the immigration plan.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are looking to double the number of jobs in the sector to 25,000, but we just won’t have the people to fill them,” Colin Neill, chief executive of Hospitality Ulster, told the Irish Times.


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

CNN

CNN’s Sanjay Gupta slams Georgia governor’s bizarre excuse for not putting the state on shutdown sooner

Published

on

On CNN Thursday, Dr. Sanjay Gupta laid into Gov. Brian Kemp (R-GA) for claiming the he didn't know until today that coronavirus can be spread by people with no symptoms.

"I mean, if he didn't know that until the last 24 hours, he might be the only person, certainly the only alleged leader to not know that," said anchor Anderson Cooper. "I find that incredible."

"It's inexcusable, Anderson," said Gupta. "This is really — I can't believe — I live in Georgia, as you know, and I can tell you I have grade school students that are — my kids who know this. The CDC has been talking about this since the beginning of February. You know where the CDC is? In, Georgia, the same state where the governor said he didn't know this till the last 24 hours? I mean, Anderson, this is one of the most serious issues I think maybe any of us will sort of deal with, perhaps in our lifetime. And the governor of a state says he didn't know something that the country has known and has been acting on, thinking about for two months, he says he didn't know this until the last 24 hours."

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

USNS Comfort has 1,000 hospital beds to help with New York’s crisis — but only 3 patients: report

Published

on

Presdient Donald Trump announced to much fanfare that he was deploying two U.S. Navy hospital ships to help New York deal with the COVID-19 pandemic. But the two ships are only serving 18 patients in total.

"Such were the expectations for the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort that when it chugged into New York Harbor this week, throngs of people, momentarily forgetting the strictures of social distancing, crammed together along Manhattan’s west side to catch a glimpse," the New York Times reported Thursday.

"On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating local hospital executives," the newspaper explained. "The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle."

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Jared Kushner slammed for buzzwording his way through coronavirus press conference

Published

on

At Thursday's coronavirus task force briefing, President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner took the stand to discuss his own role in combating the outbreak.

Commenters on social media, however, did not care for what he had to say — and roundly criticized his appearance.

I didn't see it so let me just get this straight: Jared Kushner -- who has exactly about as many qualifications for dealing with a pandemic as he did for concocting Mideast peace -- was on hand to brief the American people about the #COVID19Pandemic but Dr. Fauci wasn't? Ok then. https://t.co/I94u3dYCAB

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image