Quantcast
Connect with us

‘Terrifying’ new research warns 2.2 million could die from coronavirus in US without drastic action

Published

on

“Only now is the White House coming out of denial and heading straight into saying it could not have been foreseen.”

An alarming scientific report compiled by British researchers and shared with the Trump White House warns that, in the absence of drastic and coordinated government action, the novel coronavirus could kill as many as 2.2 million people in the United States alone.

ADVERTISEMENT

The new research (pdf), led by epidemiologist Dr. Neil Ferguson and published Monday by the Imperial College of London, shows that merely acting to slow rather than completely stop the spread of COVID-19 would “still likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over.”

“For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option,” the researchers wrote. “In the U.K. and U.S. context, suppression will minimally require a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases, and household quarantine of their family members. This may need to be supplemented by school and university closures.”

Successful suppression of the virus could take a significant amount of time, the researchers noted—”potentially 18 months or more.”

The New York Times reported late Monday that the researchers’ “terrifying” projection of as many as 2.2 million possible deaths in the U.S. was shared with the White House’s coronavirus task force last week, when President Donald Trump was still downplaying the threat posed by the COVID-19 outbreak.

“We don’t have a clear exit strategy,” Ferguson told the Times. “We’re going to have to suppress this virus—frankly, indefinitely—until we have a vaccine. It’s a difficult position for the world to be in.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The team of researchers “also shared its fatality estimates with the CDC,” according to the Times, “including that eight to nine percent of people in the most vulnerable age group, 80 and older, could die if infected.”

ADVERTISEMENT

During a press conference on Monday, Trump falsely claimed that “nobody ever thought about” the coronavirus threat a month ago.

“This is a bad one,” said Trump, who on Sunday recommended that people in the U.S. avoid gathering with more than 10 people. “This is a very bad one. This is bad in the sense that it’s so contagious. It’s just so contagious.  Sort of, record-setting-type contagion.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In an interview with CNN Sunday, Harvard University epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch said the coronavirus crisis “was foreseeable, and foreseen, weeks and months ago.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“Only now is the White House coming out of denial,” said Lipsitch, “and heading straight into saying it could not have been foreseen.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Trump buried in mockery for latest press briefing of ‘lies and nonsense’

Published

on

On Wednesday, President Donald Trump delivered his daily coronavirus press briefing, which ended with him on the defensive about a number of topics, from his claims children are nearly "immune" to coronavirus, to his insistence that the Beirut explosion was an attack, to his continued lies about mail-in voting.

His performance drew scorn from commenters on social media.

Trump purposely walked out of the briefing without letting @weijia ask a question!!

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

New York prosecutors issue ‘wide-ranging subpoena’ for Trump’s financial documents to Deutsche Bank

Published

on

New York prosecutors are showing they're serious about the look into President Donald Trump's finances out of concern for fraud.

The New York Times reported Wednesday afternoon that this is part of the year-long legal battle between Trump and the Manhattan district attorney Cy Vance.

A subpoena was previously issued for Trump's tax returns last year, but Trump fought it all the way to the Supreme Court, where he was told to comply with subpoenas and hand over the documents.

Continue Reading
 

COVID-19

Fauci expects tens of millions of COVID-19 vaccines ready in early 2021

Published

on

Drugmakers will likely have tens of millions of doses of a coronavirus vaccine in the early part of next year, with production ramping up so that it hits a billion doses by the end of 2021, Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. government official on infectious diseases, said in a Reuters interview on Wednesday.

Fauci said he has not seen any pressure from the White House to announce a vaccine close to the Nov. 3 election in the hopes of boosting President Donald Trump's re-election chances.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage. Help us deliver it. Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free.
close-image