Quantcast
Connect with us

Hezbollah slams German ban as ‘submission to America’s will’

Published

on

Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah makes a televised address in Lebanon on May 4, 2020. © - AL-MANAR TV/AF

The head of Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement on Monday condemned Germany’s ban on his group as bowing to US pressure and insisted it was not active in the country.

Germany designated Hezbollah a “Shiite terrorist organisation” on Thursday as its security forces raided mosques and associations linked to the group.

In a televised speech, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah called it a “political decision that reflects Germany’s submission to America’s will and to pleasing Israel”.

ADVERTISEMENT

“When we say we are not active in Germany, we are being 100 percent honest,” said the leader of the Iranian-backed group.

Hezbollah was established in 1982 during the Lebanese civil war and fought a devastating 2006 war with Israel.

The US and Israel have long designated it a terrorist group and urged allies to follow suit.

Like the European Union, Germany had until now outlawed only Hezbollah’s military wing while tolerating its political arm, a major force in the Lebanese parliament.

Nasrallah on Monday said he expected more EU countries to follow Germany’s example.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Hezbollah chief also condemned German authorities for raiding mosques and associations linked to the group and called on the Lebanese government to protect its nationals in Germany.

Rescue plan ‘a big step forward’

Nasrallah’s speech came days after the Lebanese government approved a long-awaited plan that was used to apply for an International Monetary Fund (IMF) program to help the country through an acute economic crisis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Responding to the crisis plan, Nasrallah said it was a “big, important step”. But he warned that any talks with the IMF must not blindly surrender the country to terms it cannot bear.

Nasrallah said local banks had made huge profits over the years and must now step in to help. He urged the government, which signed a request for IMF assistance last week, to find solutions for the weakening local currency and sky-rocketing prices.

ADVERTISEMENT

(FRANCE 24 with AFP and REUTERS)


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

‘Get the hell out!’: Trump supporters freak out when protesters show up to Lindsey Graham event

Published

on

A small group of protesters came to one of Lindsey Graham's latest campaign events, and they were quickly attacked by supporters of President Donald Trump chanting "four more years."

Graham's event seemed to have more support for Trump than for Graham at his own weekend event. It's unknown why the Trump supporters were not chanting for Graham.

"Get the hell out!" one Trump supporter can be heard shouting. He and another older man were seen wagging their fingers

At least one Graham protester could be seen holding up a sign with Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The South Carolina senator is fighting for his political career and many other Republicans struggling to hold onto their seats. Graham is now being confronted with past comments he made saying that no president, regardless of the party, should make a Supreme Court pick right before his or her election.

Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

Black man takes N-word spewing racist to school — and makes him promise to never do it again

Published

on

When a racist White guy at a marina shouted out the N-word at a group of Black men, he probably didn't count on their response being a history lesson, but that's precisely what happened.

While President Donald Trump is claiming that Black community members are beating and killing White racists and responding with general violence, the two men showed a different reality.

"What made you say it?" the men asked.

The white guy shrugged.

"You that racist?" one of the men asks.

"Uh, no, I--" the White guy tried to answer.

"Then why would you call us a n*gger?" one of the men asks.

Continue Reading
 

Breaking Banner

Lamar Alexander refuses to stand against Trump Supreme Court choice

Published

on

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) is an outgoing Senator but he is firmly supporting President Donald Trump's nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court.

In a statement released Sunday, Alexander claimed that the so-called "McConnell Rule" doesn't count because the Senate and the White House is ruled by Republicans. The "McConnell Rule" was never a rule until McConnell decided he didn't want former President Barack Obama to nominate another justice when conservative Justice Antonin Scalia died suddenly.

"Senator McConnell is only doing what Democrat leaders have said they would do if the shoe were on the other foot," said Alexander.

Continue Reading
 
 
You need honest news coverage.  Help us deliver it.  Join Raw Story Investigates for $1. Go ad-free. LEARN MORE