“I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election… if I win.”
That was then-candidate Donald Trump’s message to his supporters and the nation just a month before his victory over Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race.
Four years later, with less than five months to go until the 2020 presidential election, progressive advocacy groups are preparing to mobilize millions of people should Trump lose to presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden and refuse to accept the results.
On Friday, Stand Up America and Indivisible launched a “Protect the Results” campaign aimed at encouraging all Americans to “protect and defend the valid results of the election whether their preferred candidate wins or loses.”
“Trump has no respect for the rule of law, and we have no reason to believe he will leave willingly after losing reelection,” Ezra Levin, co-founder and co-executive director of Indivisible, said in a statement. “Preparing for the possibility of Trump refusing to concede isn’t just reasonable, it’s the responsible thing to do.”
Indivisible and Stand Up warn on their campaign’s website that “there is no line he won’t cross,” pointing to Trump’s threat last week to deploy the U.S. military to quash nationwide protests against the police killing of George Floyd.
“We cannot ignore the threat that Trump poses to our democracy and a peaceful transition,” the groups said. “We will stand together to ensure that if Trump loses the 2020 presidential election he will not throw our country into a constitutional crisis.”
Indivisible and Stand Up said in a joint statement Friday that they hope to “build a network of millions of Americans who pledge to take action should Trump refuse to accept the results or if he attempts to declare victory while the actual outcome remains unclear.”
The groups said they plan to use a text alert system to:
- Mobilize Americans to safely take to the streets;
- Build a coalition of organizations willing to engage their members to take action, including protests and potential work strikes;
- Drive calls to state and local election officials to ensure that every vote is being counted accurately, especially as tens of millions of Americans are likely to cast their ballots by mail; and/or,
- Put pressure on key elected officials to stand up for our democracy and denounce any attempts by Trump to undermine the outcome of the election.
“We can’t bury our heads in the sand and pretend that Trump is not a threat to our democracy,” said Stand Up founder and president Sean Eldridge. “The American people must be ready to protect the results of the 2020 election.”
“The Fake News is not as important, or as powerful, as Social Media,” Trump tweeted last July. “When I ultimately leave office in six years, or maybe 10 or 14 (just kidding), they will quickly go out of business.”
A month later, Trump suggested on Twitter that his administration “should be given our stolen time back,” referring to the Russia investigation that consumed much of the president’s first two years in the White House.
Levin told Newsweek on Friday that there is good reason to believe Trump’s remarks were more than mere jokes meant to rile up the media and his political opponents.
“He wasn’t joking when he teargassed peaceful protesters for a photo-op,” Levin said. “This is a real concern people have.”
Donald Trump Jr.’s pre-debate appearance draws questions: ‘How much coke did Don Jr. snort before that?’
An excited performance by Donald Trump Jr. led to questions about drug use on Tuesday.
Just minutes before the first 2020 presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Vice President Joe Biden, Donald Trump Jr. was seen appearing on three major networks.
On ABC News, Donald Trump Jr. spoke quickly as he attacked Biden.
"I'm not so worried about the two hours of debate or the 90 minute debate, I'm worried about the other 22 hours of the day where Joe seems to struggle, where he's on a teleprompter," he ranted. "I mean, he hasn't had to campaign in the same way."
NYT reveals the math behind Trump paying $750 in taxes — 4 minutes before the first presidential debate
Part three in the bombshell New York Times series on President Donald Trump's taxes was released on Tuesday -- only four minutes before first presidential debate.
The third in the series focused on how Trump concluded he only needed to pay $750 in federal income taxes.
"The small amount of federal income taxes President Trump paid in both 2016 and 2017 — just $750 each year — has become the focus of much attention since it was revealed in a New York Times investigation. The figures below, drawn from Mr. Trump’s tax-return data for 2017, show how his accountants arrived at that figure for one of those years," the newspaper reported.
Lindsey Graham is comfortable spreading Russian disinformation: ‘It’s not about whether it is true’
In a phone call with The Daily Beast Tuesday, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said he didn't know whether the disinformation presented by Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe was true, but he also wasn't concerned with it either. Even so, Graham said he was not concerned with releasing the uncorroborated allegations to the public.
"There are allegations from the CIA that the Clinton campaign was involved in Russia. I don't know if that is true,” Graham said. “It's not about whether it is true. It's about whether the FBI took [the allegations] seriously. That's the question. I supported the Mueller investigation. I don’t get why you wouldn’t look with the same suspicion with both campaigns. The point is what did they [the FBI] do with the information?"