More than two dozen new coronavirus cases in China and the first New Zealand infections in almost a month on Tuesday underlined the immense challenges still ahead in containing the deadly pandemic, even as some EU nations reopened their borders to fellow Europeans.
More than eight million people have now been infected with the virus worldwide since it first emerged in China late last year — with more than 435,000 deaths — and the tolls are still surging in Latin America and South Asia.
Caseloads have declined across Europe, however, and governments are keen to ease lockdowns that have saved lives but devastated economies — despite experts warning that restrictions will be required until a vaccine or effective treatment is developed.
The latest reminder of the threat came on Tuesday from China, which had largely brought its outbreak under control, as 27 new infections were reported in Beijing, where a new cluster linked to a wholesale food market has sparked mass testing and neighborhood lockdowns.
“The epidemic situation in the capital is extremely severe,” Beijing city spokesman Xu Hejian warned, as the number of confirmed infections soared to 106.
And New Zealand reported its first cases in almost a month — two recent arrivals from Britain — prompting authorities to start tracing their movements.
The South Pacific nation had declared last week that it had ended community transmission of the virus.
While these cases have caused concern about the possibility of a full-blown resurgence in countries that have suppressed their outbreaks, the disease is gaining a worrying momentum in other regions with massive populations.
Known infections in India have crossed 330,000, and authorities already stretched by the COVID-19 outbreak are bracing for the monsoon season, which causes outbreaks of illness such as dengue fever and malaria every year.
With more than three decades as a doctor in India’s chronically underfunded public healthcare system, Vidya Thakur — medical superintendent at Mumbai’s Rajawadi Hospital — is used to managing “heavy burdens”.
But now, she says, “COVID-19 has left us helpless… and the monsoon will make things even more difficult.”
– Oscars postponed –
In Latin America, countries are struggling to contain the disease while trying to ease the crushing economic blow dealt by widespread lockdowns and social distancing measures.
Peru reported its economy shrank by more than 40 percent year-on-year in April, while Chile extended its state of emergency by three months as it struggles with a controversy over how it is counting COVID-19 deaths.
In the United States, the world’s worst-hit nation, there have been flare-ups in some states.
But President Donald Trump’s administration insists there will be no new economic shutdown even if a second wave hits.
A return to normal still looks distant, however, with the Oscars postponed by two months, the latest casualty of an already interrupted sports and entertainment calendar.
– Borders reopen in Europe –
After a gradual drop in new cases, European nations including Belgium, France, Germany and Greece lifted border restrictions hoping to boost tourism and travel over the summer months.
In Spain, a planeload of German tourists flew to the Balearic islands in an experimental pilot project.
In Brussels, Joy Kamel, a student traveling to join her father in France, waited to board a flight to Marseille.
“It’s been five months since I’ve seen him,” she told AFP. “I’m in the middle of exams, but since I’m taking them online, I might as well take advantage.”
‘People are dying’: Reporter backs Trump advisor Larry Kudlow into a corner on president’s gross negligence
Tensions ran high at an outdoor press conference Friday when a reporter asked White House advisor Larry Kudlow, "Where is the President?" and he replied, "I don't understand."
The reporter said, "2,000 people a day are dying of COVID. Where is the President's leadership?"
CBS News White House correspondent Paula Reid reported from Washington, D.C. Friday and shared the tweet below. The responses flowed in from there.
‘On the spot’: Fauci confirms he immediately accepted Biden’s offer for chief medical adviser
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) confirmed on Friday that he has accepted President-elect Joe Biden's offer to serve as chief medical adviser as the United States continues its fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
Fauci appeared on "The Today Show" where he told NBC host Savannah Guthrie that he accepted Biden's offer "on the spot." It has been reported that Fauci will continue his role as the director of the NIAID while leading the country's fight against COVID-19. At one point during the interview, Guthrie asked about the preliminary plan that will be put place during Biden's first 100 days in office.
Top coronavirus aide warns US vaccination to take time
The White House coordinator on the coronavirus response cautioned Thursday that vaccinations across the United States will take time, even for the most at risk including around one-third of Americans living with other serious conditions.
"That's probably the most important question right now. It will be a number of weeks, a number of months before the most vulnerable individuals in America" are vaccinated, Deborah Birx told reporters from AFP and AP at the United Nations.
"We have 100 million Americans with significant comorbidities. It is going to take time to get them immunized," she said after meeting Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who led a largely virtual UN summit on the Covid-19 crisis.