Trump campaign communications director Erin Perrine insisted on Monday that attacks on Democratic nominee Joe Biden’s mental health are working despite a Fox News polls that found voters have a lower opinion of President Donald Trump’s mental capacity.
Fox News host Sandra Smith spoke to Perrine about the tactic after Trump railed against Biden’s mental fitness at a Sunday rally.
“Seeing how this is not working in President Trump’s favor in the polls, why stick with this message?” the Fox News host wondered.
“I would argue that it is working in the polls,” Perrine replied. “President Trump, in that Fox poll, is at his strongest standing since going against Joe Biden and has cut Joe Biden’s lead by 7 points in that poll.”
In response, Smith noted that the same Fox News polls found that voters are more concerned about unemployment, the COVID-19 pandemic and crime.
“These are huge issues for voters,” Smith continued. “So why make Joe Biden’s alleged cognitive decline a centerpiece of Trump’s reelection campaign?”
“It certainly a question the American people need to ask,” Perrine insisted. “Listen, if there’s a crisis in the world, it’s 3 in the morning, who do you want answering the phone at the White House? President Trump, who has an incredibly strong foreign policy record delivering for the American people, protecting people or Joe Biden, whose own campaign couldn’t even make a declarative statement on whether or not he uses a teleprompter for interviews. That’s a serious question for the American people and we’re going to ask it!”
Smith went on to point out that Trump has recently escalated his attack by accusing Biden of using performance enhancing drugs.
“I mentioned it’s not working for him in the polls,” Smith said. “But when do you decide that that’s not working and pivot back to the election, pivot back to Americans’ safety, pivot back to getting people back to work — and millions of people are still without jobs.”
“We are talking about everything,” Perrine responded. “The president is asking questions and Joe Biden should answer them.”
Watch the video below from Fox News.
‘Terrified little boy’ Trump is going to ‘burn it all down’ because he can’t face losing the election: Mary Trump
In an interview with the Guardian, Donald Trump's niece, Mary Trump said there is no telling what will happen in the final days of the 2020 presidential and then its aftermath, but she is worried that the president will "burn it all down" as he is faced with losing the election and then facing criminal charges in the aftermath.
Relying on her background as a psychologist, the president's niece issued a dire warning that if the president goes down, he will try to take everything around him down with him.
‘Dark moment for the Senate’: Republicans block consideration of COVID relief to speed up Barrett confirmation
Republicans on Saturday blocked Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's attempt during a rare weekend session to force consideration of a $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief bill as the GOP rushed ahead with its effort to confirm right-wing judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court just before the November election.
After a speech decrying the Barrett confirmation process as "a very dark moment for the Senate," Schumer requested unanimous consent for the chamber to take up a revised version of the HEROES Act that the Democrat-controlled House passed earlier this month. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has refused to allow a Senate vote on the bill despite growing suffering across the nation and warnings that failure to approve additional spending could cause lasting damage to the economy.
‘Absolute farce’: Trump White House bashed for declaring COVID-exposed Pence an ‘essential worker’ so he can campaign
Appearing on CNN early Sunday morning, an emergency room doctor from Michigan expressed disgust with the White House for labeling Vice President Mike Pence as an "essential worker" so he can continue to campaign for Donald Trump despite the vice president's office being rocked by a COVID-19 outbreak.
Following news the Pence Chief of Staff Marc Short and senior adviser Marty Obst among others in the Vice President's office have tested positive for novel coronavirus, the White House announced that the vice president would maintain his hectic schedule in the waning days before the election.