Quantcast
Connect with us

Trump advisers privately warned GOP donors about COVID-19 in February while telling public virus was ‘very much under control’

Published

on

Larry Kudlow, Donald Trump -- screenshots

As the Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. surpasses 218,000, the New York Times revealed this week that while President Donald Trump in February lied to Americans about the coronavirus outbreak being “very much under control,” his economic advisers at the same time warned wealthy Republican donors and members of a right-wing think tank behind closed doors that a public health crisis of the magnitude expected would severely affect the U.S. and world economy.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Apparently, if Americans want to hear the full truth from the Trump administration about the severity of Covid-19, they need to be wealthy and well-connected donors,” said Kyle Herrig, president of the watchdog group Accountable.US, in a statement Friday.

The Times’ investigation focused on the discrepancy between Trump’s cheerful public messaging to Americans in February and the less optimistic information that White House officials shared simultaneously and secretly with the conservative Hoover Institution’s board members, many of whom are GOP donors.

For instance, hours after Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, asserted on February 25 on CNBC that the coronavirus had been contained in the U.S.—”it’s pretty close to airtight”—he said privately that “we just don’t know.”

William Callanan, a hedge fund consultant who attended the Hoover board meetings, wrote a document describing what he heard. The memo, obtained by the Times, demonstrated that “a devastating virus outbreak in the U.S. was increasingly likely to occur, and that government officials were more aware of the threat than they were letting on publicly.”

According to the Times:

The consultant’s assessment quickly spread through parts of the investment world. U.S. stocks were already spiraling because of a warning from a federal public health official that the virus was likely to spread, but traders spotted the immediate significance: The president’s aides appeared to be giving wealthy party donors an early warning of a potentially impactful contagion at a time when Mr. Trump was publicly insisting that the threat was nonexistent.

ADVERTISEMENT

“To many of the investors who received or heard about the memo, it was the first significant sign of skepticism among Trump administration officials about their ability to contain the virus,” the Times reported. “It also provided a hint of the fallout that was to come, said one major investor who was briefed on it: the upending of daily life for the entire country.”

Moreover, at least some of the elite traders who had access to information from the administration used it to “gain financial advantage during a chaotic three days when global markets were teetering.”

Anticipating that the stock prices of companies were on the verge of falling, one investor who had access to the memo made the recommendation to, in Wall Street lingo, “short everything,” or, bet on that outcome. Others “stocked up on toilet paper and other household essentials” weeks before the general public was made aware of the severity of the pandemic.

ADVERTISEMENT

“So disgusting,” said epidemiologist Eric Feigl-Ding. “They knew.”

The recent revelation, published late Wednesday night, follows last month’s groundbreaking news that the president spent months knowingly misleading the public about the danger posed by the pandemic, utterly failing to use experts’ insights to avert a catastrophic outcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

As Common Dreams reported in early September, Trump chose to withhold information about Covid-19 from the public in order to “play it down.” Despite understanding as early as January that the coronavirus was transmitted via airborne particles and caused a lethal disease, the president sowed debate and confusion about risks and safety measures—undermining recommendations made by epidemiologists and committing what some called “reckless homicide.”

“Trump has mismanaged this crisis from the beginning,” said Herring, “and it’s long past time for his administration to stop lying to the public and ensure that relief finally reaches the families that need it most.”


Report typos and corrections to: [email protected].
READ COMMENTS - JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Continue Reading

Breaking Banner

LA mayor blasted for discounting parking tickets paid early as COVID-19 relief: ‘This is taunting poor people’

Published

on

The mayor of Los Angeles received harsh pushback on Friday for offering a discount on parking tickets paid early as a coronavirus stimulus measure.

"Mayor Eric Garcetti Friday announced a program for drivers to receive a $20 discount on certain traffic citations if they are paid within 48 hours," CBS Los Angeles reported Friday. "The new program will award discounts for early payment on citations related to residential street sweeping, overnight and oversize parking districts, and vehicles displaying recently expired permits within preferential parking districts."

Continue Reading

2020 Election

Jaime Harrison honors aunt who died of COVID in emotional debate plea to unseat Lindsey Graham

Published

on

In a calm and deliberate plea on the debate stage Friday night, U.S. Senate Democratic candidate Jaime Harrison made his argument a bit more personal against incumbent Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC).

"The coronavirus has dramatically impacted South Carolina. We've had over 750,000 people lose their jobs - 400,000 of them lost their health insurance because they lost their jobs," Harrison said. "Over 160,000 have been infected. 3,600 have lost their lives, including my aunt Gladys. And what we needed was real leadership to address this issue at hand. But what you just heard from Sen. Graham is what we get: the discussion of Washington, D.C. I don't care what is going on in Washington, D.C. because right now Rome is on fire here in South Carolina."

Continue Reading
 

2020 Election

Trump ignores all coronavirus guidelines during Minnesota MAGA rally

Published

on

The state of Minnesota limited the number of attendees President Donald J. Trump could have at his Rochester rally Friday to 250 people, but that didn't stop the president from driving down the tarmac to physically non-distance from his MAGA overflow crowd. At one point, the incumbent president even held up a portrait of himself given to him by a fan. He then shook hands with the overflow crowd and threw items into the audience.

The president was not wearing a mask, nor were many of his supporters.

Trump also took the opportunity to bash Gov. Tim Waltz for requiring social distancing at his rally.

Continue Reading