Tourists casually destroy Fox News' narrative of crime-ridden NYC in live interview

Tourists casually destroy Fox News' narrative of crime-ridden NYC in live interview
Fox News/screen grab

In a live television interview on Fox News, two tourists refuted the network's characterization of New York City as crime-ridden.

During her Wednesday program on Fox News, host Martha MacCallum issued a Fox News Alert to report that the NYPD was preparing for pro-Palestinian protests at the Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony Wednesday night.

"This is an added element of potential tension," MacCallum warned viewers, noting that protesters could be covered in "fake blood."

After providing some background on previous protests, the host asked for a report from national correspondent Bryan Llenas, who was at Rockefeller Center with two tourists from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

ALSO READ: 10 more members of Congress have violated a federal financial law

"Now I know you have seen, like the rest of the country, these protesters," Llenas told the two women. "Are you concerned at all about protesters trying to disrupt an event like this tonight?"

"No," one tourist said. "Not at all."

"Do you guys feel safe walking around the city?" Llenas asked.

"Absolutely," the first tourist said.

"Yes," the second tourist agreed.

For years, Fox News has pushed the narrative that cities run by Democrats were unsafe because of violent crime, looting, and homelessness.

Watch the video below from Fox News.

For customer support contact support@rawstory.com. Report typos and corrections to corrections@rawstory.com.

Stephen Colbert went off on Federal Communications Commission chair Brendan Carr after he pressured CBS into scrapping the broadcast of an interview with Texas state Rep. James Talarico, who is running for the U.S. Senate.

The "Late Show" host instead posted his interview with the Democratic candidate on the program's YouTube page and addressed the FCC's threat to revise the equal-time requirements for hosting political candidates on late-night talk shows.

"[Talarico] was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast,” Colbert said. “Then, I was told, in some uncertain terms, that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on, and because my network clearly does not want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”

Colbert explained the equal time provision and Carr's threat to waive an exemption the FCC has long recognized for news programming, which the agency notified broadcasters might not apply to talk shows, and he took a shot at President Donald Trump's nominee.

“Carr said… some of [the talk shows] were ‘motivated by partisan purposes,'” Colbert said. “Well, sir, you’re chairman of the FCC, so FCC you.”

“Let’s just call this what it is,” Colbert added. “Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV.”

- YouTube www.youtube.com

THANKS FOR SUBSCRIBING! ALL ADS REMOVED!

Elon Musk's X is to undergo a large-scale probe from the European privacy watchdog following a multi-million dollar fine and office raid.

The X CEO had initially pushed back against the European Commission and its threat of investigation until a $139 million fine was issued to his company in December. An office raid earlier this month was conducted by the French authorities and the European Union’s law enforcement agency Europol. The raid was part of an ongoing criminal probe into the potential “dissemination of child pornography."

The European Union’s data privacy watchdog has since confirmed an investigation into Elon Musk's X over sexualized images generated by Grok, the AI Chatbot featured on the social media site.

Ireland’s Data Protection Commission (DPC), which is chiefly responsible for enforcing the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), issued a statement confirming the inquiry.

It read, "The inquiry concerns the apparent creation, and publication on the X platform, of potentially harmful, non-consensual intimate and/or sexualized images, containing or otherwise involving the processing of personal data of EU/EEA data subjects, including children, using generative artificial intelligence functionality associated with the Grok large language model within the X platform."

Graham Doyle, the DPC's deputy commissioner, said, "As the Lead Supervisory Authority for [X Internet Unlimited Company] across the EU/EEA, the DPC has commenced a large-scale inquiry which will examine XIUC’s compliance with some of their fundamental obligations under the GDPR in relation to the matters at hand.”

The European Commission’s Executive Vice President for Tech Sovereignty Henna Virkkunen had leveled fines at Musk's company in December last year, and said the fine is not about being a financial strain, but making sure the right course of action is taken by X.

Virkkunen said, "We’re not here to impose the highest fines, we’re here to make sure that our digital legislation is enforced. If you comply with our rules, you don’t get a fine." They added the fine was "proportionate" to the value of the company, with DSA regulations meaning a maximum fine of 6% of a company's worth can be issued.

While the fine may not come as a surprise to X, Vice President JD Vance warned the EU Commission they should not be aiming for Musk's website, something the tech billionaire made clear he did not appreciate.

Vance wrote, "Rumors swirling that the EU commission will fine X hundreds of millions of dollars for not engaging in censorship. The EU should be supporting free speech, not attacking American companies over garbage." Musk replied, "Much appreciated."

The World Health Organisation and Donald Trump's administration still maintains contact despite the United States leaving the organization this year.

While the WHO is less dependent on U.S. financing, it has made it clear that it believes the world is less safe without its involvement. Insiders and admin officials told The Guardian columnist Devi Sridhar that, even though the U.S. had severed ties with the health body, it was still in touch with it.

Sridhar wrote, "We have China and Russia increasing their bilateral ties to low-income countries, tying together global health aid with their influence. And we have health threats such as the H5N1 variant of bird flu, antimicrobial resistance and continual disease outbreaks requiring rapid information-sharing and coordinated response.

"The U.S. government knows this. I am told that in all practical ways, Trump’s leadership team is still engaging with the agency privately, while lambasting it publicly."

Sridhar suggested the reason for opening private channels and yet blasting the organization publicly is to play up the MAGA voter base ahead of the midterm elections.

She wrote, "This plays to his MAGA base who need a foreign enemy to attack, while also ensuring the U.S. has the necessary global intel on health risks that the WHO holds. Yet again, Trump says one thing publicly while doing the opposite privately.

"In another 'emperor has no clothes' moment, the real story is that the U.S. government is more dependent on the WHO than vice versa." Professor Sridhar, a chair of global public health at the University of Edinburgh, also claimed the World Health Organisation had nearly buckled under MAGA pressure in the past.

"A senior WHO staff member told me that it had been pressed to align with the MAGA talking points on the links between vaccines and autism, and paracetamol in pregnancy and autism, as well as climate-change denialism," she wrote. "When the agency pushed back that this wasn’t scientifically accurate, it was reprimanded.

"Having studied the WHO (and co-written a book on it), it is bizarre to watch the U.S. government attacking the very agency it has been the architect and champion of for years. The entire UN system was premised on the idea that cooperation across countries could prevent collective catastrophes like the Second World War.

"U.S. leadership has been central to global campaigns against smallpox, polio, HIV/Aids and reducing child mortality. Financially, too, the U.S. has been the single largest contributor to the WHO, through assessed contributions and voluntary funding tied to specific programmes."

{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}